PDA

View Full Version : Character: dragon, low poly model

SylvanMist
12-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Hi, I just made the first dragon to go in my game. He's 1906 triangles, and a 512x512 texture is used.

Please give me your honest critiques on it! Thank you!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/fflewddar/dragonred.jpg

Wire & front view:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/fflewddar/dragonred2.jpg

AndrewRaZ
12-17-2006, 11:28 PM
i don't know why nobody has responded to this yet. it's really quite a nice piece of work. i would be proud if it were in my portfolio. the only thing i can think of that might need a bit of improvement is the diffuse texture needs a little more lighting work. right now, it's very ambient, and if it's ambient lit in the game, a lot of the form is going to be lost. painting some subtle lighting into it can really help it pop more.
great job

max0l
12-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Nice dragon you have there.
You could possibly add some extra detail to him, he looks kinda clean.
Add like some scars n such and some texture to the horns, to give him some more personality.
and maybe you can sharpen up the detail on the scales as well.
It'll really make im pop.

SylvanMist
12-18-2006, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the critiques guys!

AndrewRaZ: yes you're probably right, it could use some more fake lighting on it, however i'm going to try it out in the game first as we do have global self-shadows. I'll post a screenshot when I can test it.

max0l: I think some of the scale details got lost in the jpg compression, but i did make them rather light with just a few shiny ones that stand out more. Scars would be cool except my texture is totally mirrored, so they would end up looking..well mirrored :p That's why i didn't really place any unique obvious details on him. This is a hard problem to overcome with mirrored textures, in fact I don't even know if it's possible :p I only had a 512 map max to work with though, so i was trying to cram it all in.

milkchancookies
12-18-2006, 05:27 AM
right now the texture still looks way too clean. The shading is fine though very good. He needs some texture overlays now for the fine scaley + rough details.

ElFuego
12-18-2006, 06:05 AM
It's a good model! Texture could also need more detail/diffuse or faked cavities. Just a tiny bit more contrast. But let's wait for that ingame screenshot :)

you are right that mirrored uv's are always a problem when adding highcontrast detail on organic things. It just ends up looking fake. That's why you really should think of adding this fella some additional gear (if it suits the game profile) like harness of some sort to make it a bit more asymmethric. This is just an idea.

Good work anyways and lets see that ingame screen ay? :)

SylvanMist
12-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Mr. Spacely: I actually do have a lot of overlays, they were just too faint I guess.

ElFuego: There aren't any accessories I can add to him really, I just mean for him to be a dragon in his natural form. But you're right, adding stuff like that is the way to add the assymetry, in fact I did it in my last model, the feros and it worked really well i think.

Ok so based on what you guys said, I beefed up most of my overlay layers(basically just duplicated them) and came up with this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/fflewddar/dragonred3.jpg

I will get those screenshots later on today! :)

milkchancookies
12-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Roja,

Sorry what I meant is you need more of a variety of overlays to play against what you currently have there. There are alot of blurry areas of color. You need some intense noisy grungy areas that fill in the gaps and break up the one repeating scale texture.

SylvanMist
12-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Mr. Spacely: I did put some dirt spots to break up the red color..not sure how I can add more detailed texture though. I will keep the suggestion in mind for future texturing, i think i'm done with this guy now.

Ok here are the in game screenshots:

With shadows:
(note my hardware isn't the best, so the shadow buffer size is on the low end, thus creating the jagged edges. If it's put higher they do come out nice and clean)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/fflewddar/dragonred_test3.jpg

And without shadows in an ambient lit cave:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/fflewddar/dragonred_test4.jpg

XTitan
12-19-2006, 06:37 AM
I dont know if it's just me, but the big eyes and the rounded snout make him look kinda cute. Are you going for a cute dragon or a fearsom one? I think smaller eyes and pointier snout would make him look meaner :)

Great work either way :)

SylvanMist
12-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Ahh..is that to trick to making them look meaner? I was trying to make him look more fearsome by angeling the "eyebrows" down further, but it didn't work so great. I don't really mind the cute look though so i'll keep him this way, but i'll keep what you said in mind and try it out sometime. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2006, 01:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.