PDA

View Full Version : rendering Q

vrljc
02-16-2003, 03:00 AM
is it possible to just render out the reflection layer, ALONE, of a scene? or just render out the specularity layer, ALONE, of a scene?

kinda like how the big boys @ ILM will just render out the shadows layer or the volumetrics layer etc etc.....then they will composite them together in post.

-vrljc

vrljc
02-16-2003, 03:14 AM
hhhmmmm i figured it out by using the buffer image filter......HOWEVER, there is really no way i can composite without an alpha attached! so how can i get an alpha outa the render?

-vrljc

vrljc
02-16-2003, 03:32 AM
GEEZ! think before you speak! LOL......i soon figured it out after posting. It is in the same window, duh!

but alas you can't render out both the RGB and alpha files @ the same time. Oh well.......thus doubling your rendering time.....its not like a reflection pass is long enough in itself!

Anyone know how to speed up reflection in a render?

-vrljc

CIM
02-16-2003, 04:22 AM
- Render Options > Output Files and check Save RGB and " Alpha.
- Use Reflection Maps.

faulknermano
02-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by vrljc
GEEZ! think before you speak! LOL......i soon figured it out after posting. It is in the same window, duh!

dont worry about it. posting is a good medicine for temporary stupidity. and i'm talking about me actually. :D

Anyone know how to speed up reflection in a render?

lower Ray Recursion Limit (render options).

vrljc
02-16-2003, 08:11 AM
- Render Options > Output Files and check Save RGB and " Alpha.

CIM i tried that of course, except when using the buffer export image filter, when the "destination" setting was put onto rendered RGB the outputed RGB file was the reflection layer (correct) but the alpha layer was a normal alpha that was plain white. And with the "destination" setting on rendered alpha, the outputed alpha file came out correct, but the RGB file was a fully rendered scene (not correct)

But alas, I figured why not add ANOTHER buffer export image filter (now we have 2!).....one set @ RGB and the other Alpha.....and the result! (drumroll please) it worked!

I will try reflection maps. Thanks anyways, u sparked the idea to add both.

-vrljc

vrljc
02-16-2003, 01:20 PM
lower Ray Recursion Limit (render options).

i was reading in the manual about this....does this setting ONLY affect the reflction raytracing and NOT refraction or shadows?

-vrljc

faulknermano
02-17-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by vrljc
i was reading in the manual about this....does this setting ONLY affect the reflction raytracing and NOT refraction or shadows?

-vrljc

i do not know about shadows, but refraction and reflection get affected by this option. in refraction, it's in the limit of the number of times it has to refract. if you set this lower than needed, you would get your backdrop color mixed in with the refraction... this is because it stops computing for the pixel value based on your refraction and simply replaces it with the backdrop color.

ddaniels
02-17-2003, 05:09 AM
Hey you need to check out the Photoshop PSD export under the image processing tab. It can work wonders for yo r compositing needs

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.