PDA

View Full Version : Does PFlow support instancing?

Bercon
12-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Lets say I have 10 000 particles using Shape Instance of 5000 poly object. Can Pflow render the scene using instances or does it have to create unique mesh for each particle using HUGE amount of memory? If it does support instances, how does it work with 3rd party render engines like mental ray and vray?

Bobo
12-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Lets say I have 10 000 particles using Shape Instance of 5000 poly object. Can Pflow render the scene using instances or does it have to create unique mesh for each particle using HUGE amount of memory? If it does support instances, how does it work with 3rd party render engines like mental ray and vray?

PFlow was not designed to use instances - it is a geometry object which has to build one or more meshes at rendertime and pass them to the renderer.
At the same time, PFlow would allow you to do just what you described if you use the particles just as animation guides, make them non-renderable and apply their transformations to 10 000 instances of your object via a Script Operator. This method also allows you to drive ANY scene nodes incl. helpers, lights, cameras, you name it. I even put an example in the MAXScript Reference that shows you how to transfer motion to scene objects (see How To... tutorials)

Of course, the drawback is that you would have create the instances yourself and that your system should be able to handle the amount of data (Max 9 64 bit?)
You might be able to generate the geometry on the fly before the rendering starts inside the Init handler (there is a method that will tell you whether the PFlow is in render state or viewport state so you could generate your instances only when needed) and you could destroy them again when the rendering is done if you want to avoid having them around in the viewports...

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2006, 08:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.