PDA

View Full Version : Industry standards today... and this time next year?

Akuma
02-15-2003, 11:03 PM
Poly count poly count and uhh.. yea poly count. :)

What are the main standard for max polys shown on the screen at one time today? I have a list of numbers for the systems i am developing for currently, but not much for general PCs.

Keeping in mind a years advancement, What do you all think the standard will be around a year from now? i know its impossible to know for sure but what do all of you predict?

i ask because 2 of my projects will take at least a year to finish, even with all of our technices to save time. And i dont want to start modeling things just to find out i could have doubled the detail (and detail is a BIg thing with my projects)

Gibbz
02-15-2003, 11:55 PM
orry wrong thread..

yeah depends what shaders and effect u plan on using tho.. and what systems your aimming for...

boywonder
02-16-2003, 07:30 AM
Well - unreal currently uses 3-5k characters and it looks pretty good don't you think. Computer speeds will double in one year so if you do 5k characters (maybe even more if there aren't many characters simultaneously on screen) I'm pretty sure you can do very detailed characters and the game will run smoothly.

Of course it also depends the engine you are using and of course the game type is critical (will there be lots of people on screen simultanously?)

Bilbo_Baggins
02-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by boywonder
Computer speeds will double in one year
Even if that is true (And I dont think it is), I wouldn't go too far past the current poly limit on a game like UT2. Alot of people are already struggling enough to get a rig that can handle UT2 so why would you want to put people in a position to still be struggling a year from now when they want to play the mods?

tpe
02-16-2003, 11:34 AM
In a couple of years the process of making models will most likely have begun to change in earnest. At the moment the trend has been for higher polycounts. Soon it will be inefective to construct medium poly models, high poly models will be constructed by artists (or 3d scanned maquettes made) and the final game model will be made automatically complete with textures by an automated process (something like a combinde polybump and multirez). Forget what the polycount is likly to be and concentrate on device independence, concentrate on the model you make rather than the resources it will use as the resources are constantly changing andso is the method of creation.

just my two penneth

tpe

boywonder
02-16-2003, 02:34 PM
Okay - I know I should have been more accurate about that doubling thing.

Fact is, that if 2GHz processors costs $200 - wait for 1.5 years and you can buy 4GHz processor with $200. So - the processor speed doubles in one and a half year ;)

chrisdejoya
02-16-2003, 07:51 PM
I thought CgFX hardware shaders would've been promising, but it seems a lot of people keep dissing it. Why?

Nahaz
02-16-2003, 10:03 PM
I think lowpoly (ie less that 20k) modelling will be around for a while. Tomorrows techniques will employ subdivision surfaces (eg, Trueform) and tessellation. Highfrequency data will be handled by the GPU. I'd expect normal mapping to evolve into true displacement late this year, early next year.

So all of you people who have been using NURMS, smooth, sub-d's, meta-NURBS, should feel right at home :)

Also expect to see proceedural textures playing a bigger part (Cg, DX9).

Just imagine what's in developement right now for the ps3 ;)

Akuma
02-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Think it will be safe to set a high detail level with 6k models? Scenes will range from low poly (for buildings and constructed rooms) to very high poly for outdoor scenes and other "natural" scenes. The game will have 2 levels of detail, the high setting will bump model detail to 6k while the low one will keep them at 3k (this means 2 sets of models). I think at most you will see 3-4 models on screen at a time. So i am thinking, maybe on the low setting 15k of total polys and 30k for high detail? I dont want to finish the game to see that my models are of "last years" standards and just gets shunned by the media. :curious:

As for systems, i am not allowed to say (legaly) but it will be for home PCs and several game consoles.

chrisdejoya
02-17-2003, 07:55 AM
i'm assuming you're part of a dev house, with programmers for office mates. why don't you ask them about the engine's performance? you can work out the budgets from there.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but this is how my coder friend works out a budget: take the number of polygons the target hardware can push per second and divide that by your desired framerate. (we put ours at 25,000,000 (GF2MX) at 50 fps), and divide that by 3 to compensate for textures and other graphic data. Our total budget is set at around 170,000 polygons.

how many triangles can the new cards push these days?

boywonder
02-17-2003, 08:07 AM
3-4 (6000 poly) characters simulatenously on screen? 24000 polys + scenery. It would definetely go smoothly on today's PCs so nothing to worry about there (no need for low-poly guys)

I just runned my game and put 40 characters on screen and including the scenery I got 36000 polys and it runned smoothly 60 FPS (with my AMDXP2000+/GeForceTi4200/512MB) all the time. So with that guy+scenery stuff you don't have nothing to worry about....

Cabbe
02-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Hey everyone!

I don't think you should worry so much about the polycount. When companies are looking for artists they look at the whole picture. Don't work so much on polys so that you forget to put as much attention into textures. Just make a clean mesh and don't put a poly count that is WAY off in either direction. Then you'll be fine.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

dtek8
02-17-2003, 02:12 PM
yeah donít worry about the poly count, just donít go tooo mad,

no one will say " yeah his works great but the polycounts are just to high"

a good artist is a good artist u just need to be aware of that stuff and make your work efficient!!!

if your character needs those extra polys to make him look loads better just go with it!!!

:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.