PDA

View Full Version : painting at print resolutions...

MasonDoran
12-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I would like to work with very hi resolution images....say minimum 5000 pixels square. At default settings I am finding the majority of painters brushes cannot perform at a reasonable speed at large brush sizes. Now i can do everything at a small size...then scale up and then polish...but this would seem tedious.

I have a very good computer...

7800gtx
2gb Ram
Dual Opteron 270 (4x cpus)
Win XP

Painter 9.5

Reason is, I want to do book illustrations at poster size then scale down to sharpen the image.

Any suggestion for working at higher resolutions? I currently have illustrations at 10k x 10k pixels in Photoshop...but would like to tweak them with Impasto effects or whatever.

zerae
12-17-2006, 06:46 AM
Yes, buy Painter 6 on eBay no slowdowns with this version it was the last Painter done by the original team over at Metacreations hence why it's so good, you'll also appreciate the better interface.

If you don't want to spend more money try hot-rodding your brushes or paint at low res and up-res when you're done and add details at full print size, I don't think you'll gain much by working at full size since most details will vanish in print unless your work is going to be printing in very good quality paper:

http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Hot-Rodding_your_brushes

I tested Painter 6 on a high-end PC running WinXP SP2 and the max size is 138cm x 138cm at 300DPI it ran good too with my custom brushes :) It only used one CPU and I don't remember the max RAM it suports.

CGTalk Moderation
12-17-2006, 06:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.