PDA

View Full Version : Vue 6 xStream and LW9, has anyone got this to work

alvin-cgi
12-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Vue 6 xStream and Lightwave 9. Has anyone got this to work? I mean apply vue meta clouds, Spectral clouds, volumetric etc and render all in LW?

thanks

alvin-cgi
12-17-2006, 11:49 AM
no one?:rolleyes:

nanaboso
12-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Rendering scenes from "within" LW seems ok. But I beleave the Vue elements are still rendered in Vue though. But when you render LW objects in a Vue terrain there is some problems. But the latest revision seems to have corrected some of the flaws, but not all. (See the pics. underneath)

threedeworks
12-17-2006, 05:52 PM
i'd be very interested into this, but we OSX users still will have to wait for our xstream release... in the meantime i'll keep an eye on this thread :)

...anyone with new infos about release dates, etc.?

alvin-cgi
12-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Rendering scenes from "within" LW seems ok. But I beleave the Vue elements are still rendered in Vue though. But when you render LW objects in a Vue terrain there is some problems. But the latest revision seems to have corrected some of the flaws, but not all. (See the pics. underneath)

Thank you!:)

The 1st and 3rd image look nice, so all these were rendered from LW?

How is the rendering times, any good? I mean in your opinion...

PS: I just read "Vue 6 Infinite Performance Analysis", so in fact V6I is faster than V5I, only the stability and integration with other app(lw) still have issues...

nanaboso
12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
As for render times it of course depends on the quality you want, but: Image 1, LW PDL 3Pass, Classic & background radiosity, 18 seconds. Image 2, Vue6 Infinite, Broadcast no tweeking, 21 seconds. Image 3 the Xstream version, using the same settings in the two applications, 94 seconds. Xstrem makes Vue render it's part 3 times since this is what LW's renderer is set to, or so I belive, and the compositing part takes its time too.

BarryF
12-19-2006, 06:21 PM
I have Vue 6 xStream for Lightwave and would be happy to give you a link to some animations I've done. I'm not posting the link here as I'm in no rush to help promote this product. Bottom line is I'm having major problems with it crashing and the eon "techs" won't or can't help me. I'm not sure which as they don't answer my messages. It could very well be a problem with my computer but there's no way of me knowing if they refuse to communicate. Maybe if my last name was Disney or I had Pixar somewhere on my paycheck they might acknowledge my existance. You can email me if you want the link.

barryfleming1@yahoo.com

alvin-cgi
12-19-2006, 09:40 PM
I have Vue 6 xStream for Lightwave and would be happy to give you a link to some animations I've done. I'm not posting the link here as I'm in no rush to help promote this product. Bottom line is I'm having major problems with it crashing and the eon "techs" won't or can't help me. I'm not sure which as they don't answer my messages. It could very well be a problem with my computer but there's no way of me knowing if they refuse to communicate. Maybe if my last name was Disney or I had Pixar somewhere on my paycheck they might acknowledge my existance. You can email me if you want the link.

barryfleming1@yahoo.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/barryfleming1@yahoo.com)

Thanks Barry, just emailed to you.

alvin-cgi
12-19-2006, 09:42 PM
As for render times it of course depends on the quality you want, but: Image 1, LW PDL 3Pass, Classic & background radiosity, 18 seconds. Image 2, Vue6 Infinite, Broadcast no tweeking, 21 seconds. Image 3 the Xstream version, using the same settings in the two applications, 94 seconds. Xstrem makes Vue render it's part 3 times since this is what LW's renderer is set to, or so I belive, and the compositing part takes its time too.

Thanks, the Santa look great.
I just bought Xstream6, lets try it out...

Data3D
12-26-2006, 09:19 PM

Hey Nanaboso,

I am about ready to take the LW-XStream6 plunge, but was wondering about how it works across a LW rendering network. Can you use a tool like Butterfly Netrender, like I am currently using with 15 nodes? My impression from what I have read, is that I might need to purchase optional rendernodes to get the renderfarm to work with LW/XStream scenes. Is that what your experience has been?

Thanks in advance,

Tim Eissinger
Data3D.com

IvanB
12-27-2006, 01:21 AM
Hey Data3D,

You have to purchase an xstream render node @ $99, for each one of your pc's, 15 * $99.

Data3D
12-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey Data3D,

You have to purchase an xstream render node @ $99, for each one of your pc's, 15 * $99.
Thanks, IvanB.

I've noticed that the rendering networks seem to work a bit differently between LW and Vue. With LW and BNR, it farms out jobs to each core so my (8) dual core systems show up as 16 CPUs (My BNR license is for 15) and in Vue 6I Pre (No rendercow add-ons yet) , the rendering network will max at (5) PCs, (and does not show up as 10 processors). I would see that there are advantages and disadvantages to each method. Have you worked with combining these tools on a network or have any thoughts on the best way to go?

Thanks,

Data3D

The-G-Man
12-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Hey Ivan,

Does Xstream 6 allow you to netrender up to 5 machines in the same way that Vue 6 does?

best, Graham

IvanB
12-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Hey G,

I'm under the impression you have to buy each render node...After checking FAQ, I found this...I'm confused.

Can I use network rendering with xStream?

Yes. You can use any Max/Maya/LightWave/Cinema 4Ddistributed network rendering solution (such as Backburner)......... (You still have to have the render nodes to use BNR...I got BNR to network render with the vue5 xstream trial..No xstream nodes)

What is a RenderCow?

If you are rendering integrated Vue environments created with xStream, you will need xStream Render Node licenses instead.

Can I use a single xStream license for network rendering?

You need to purchase a separate license for each render node. You can either use full blown licenses, (Another full version of vue xstream) or the cheaper "Vue 6 xStream Render Node" network-render-only licenses.($99 render nodes)

You try and work it out..I'm pretty sure you have to buy each render node.

Ivan.

The-G-Man
12-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Ivan. I'm still trying to work out how to buy xstream 6. I've already purchased xstream 5 (pre-release) and would like to upgrade to xstream 6. However, e-on's website rejects my xstream 5 serial number as 'invalid' when I try to purchase.

Still waiting for e-on to reply ...

Being a user can be all uphill somedays.

IvanB
12-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Was that your message in the e-on forum?.....

I'm STILL F'ing waiting for the Vue6 xstream upgrade from Vue6 Infinite @ $349...They told me it would be a few days,... a month ago!..

I got an email of the newsletter stating, that the boxed version of vue6 will be available in mid Jan...Nothing on the upgrade....SO pissed off!..I want vue6 Xstream! BAD!, been waiting six months.

It might be a while for a reply..they must be on holidays.

Ivan.

The-G-Man
12-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Yep me on the forum.

I feel your pain. I have a serious (business) task for Vue 6 / xstream right now.
The ability to brush on plants and ecosystems will change my workflow dramatically. No more messing about with images.

Chin up. We're getting there ...

IvanB
12-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Your Right, the brush on is awsome...here's an image where i brushed on a bunch of trees around my buildings.

The road and traffic lights took me two days to make and get right in LW...

The-G-Man
12-27-2006, 03:48 PM
Nice work Ivan. Looking good.

The-G-Man
12-28-2006, 09:29 AM
Read the Vue 5 xstream manual again which states that it only renders on one machine, so any more are $99 per node. Guess Vue 6 xstream will be about the same. No spare cash right now so I'll have to comp my work instead I guess.

IvanB
12-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Hey G,

Its my understanding that we can have a copy on a pc and one on a laptop...Couldnt you network the two, and have that as a 2 pc render farm?

The-G-Man
12-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Mmm .. maybe. But my xstream is node-locked so I'll have to see how to work that.

alvin-cgi
12-31-2006, 03:42 AM
Vue 6 xStream and LW9, has anyone got this to work !!

I have done so many tests and still don't get it? See picture, all the lights already excluded but Vue objects still receiving lights?? So many problem with Xstream plugin... focus, lights, crashes:sad:... Is only me or what? Anyone know what happen to this... setting or bugs...:shrug:

IvanB
01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi Alvin,

I have finally got vue6 xstream!!..It seems to be working fine, I dont have any light errors, or funny rendering issues SO FAR, however I want to know if you can check something for me?

When I use xstream without going through LW, I get the cloud preview in the side view (grey semi transperent bar indicating hight and thickness of clouds), BUT when I use vue via Lightwave that bar does not exist...Is this happening for you?..Could you please check for me?

Also, If you have a small scene that is giving you the lighting problems, upload it and I'll check to see if it happens to me, or if there are some settings that need adjusting.

Ivan.

alvin-cgi
01-13-2007, 02:33 AM
Hi Alvin,

I have finally got vue6 xstream!!..It seems to be working fine, I dont have any light errors, or funny rendering issues SO FAR, however I want to know if you can check something for me?

When I use xstream without going through LW, I get the cloud preview in the side view (grey semi transperent bar indicating hight and thickness of clouds), BUT when I use vue via Lightwave that bar does not exist...Is this happening for you?..Could you please check for me?

Also, If you have a small scene that is giving you the lighting problems, upload it and I'll check to see if it happens to me, or if there are some settings that need adjusting.

Ivan.

Hi Ivan,

Yes, the grey semi transperent bar does not exist when I use vue via Lightwave, so you are not alone.
Good to know you don't have light errors like me, so this could be the setting problem.
Have you got any lights inside LW scene? I just did some quick tests, delete all lights includes Vue's lights, but still too bright? I have no idea where those lights come from,

The scene is too big to upload, may be I can upload those presets?

Another problem is, same sky, same atmosphere setting - when I render from vue seem fine, but when render from LW, it changes totally?

Alvin

IvanB
01-13-2007, 04:54 AM
Hi Alvin,

Thanks for that, I sent a ticket to e-on, with regards to cloud preview, they said they will pass it on to thier tech department. It looks to be a bug...I have to say Vue 6 Infinite was very stable for me, but the xstream version is not so..and the build is the latest 288741

The only light I use is the sun from vue, and if I face it away from the scene all is dark..Upload a small simple scene of the fault if you can. I'll post some pics.

EDIT: Ok I did some tests to find, depending on what atmosphere you choose depends on the light setting..I used the blank Black atmosphere, and no matter where I positioned the light the scene was bright...I found the light was set to STANDARD light setting, which caused it..changed it to GLOBAL, and all went Dark..Hers three images, one with standard light (which ends up bright) another the same set to global and another spectral atmosphere with the light pointing to the sky. Have a play with the Light settings and see if it helps.

alvin-cgi
01-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Hi IvanB,

Thanks for that, I sent a ticket to e-on, with regards to cloud preview, they said they will pass it on to thier tech department. It looks to be a bug...I have to say Vue 6 Infinite was very stable for me, but the xstream version is not so..and the build is the latest 288741

I am uisng 288741 as well, yes I am happy with Infinte and its stable, I have rendering many big files and without crash, and a lot easier to use than V5I. As for Xstream... I still think this plugin should be free bundle with Infinite, because it doesn't seem to be "working" yet!!:sad:

The only light I use is the sun from vue, and if I face it away from the scene all is dark..Upload a small simple scene of the fault if you can. I'll post some pics.

EDIT: Ok I did some tests to find, depending on what atmosphere you choose depends on the light setting..I used the blank Black atmosphere, and no matter where I positioned the light the scene was bright...I found the light was set to STANDARD light setting, which caused it..changed it to GLOBAL, and all went Dark..Hers three images, one with standard light (which ends up bright) another the same set to global and another spectral atmosphere with the light pointing to the sky. Have a play with the Light settings and see if it helps

Thanks for those samples, I will try same more tests when times allowed.:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2007, 08:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.