PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop C3: 'Enchanced rotate canvas' feature [like Painter]?

TsunamiZ
12-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Is Photoshop C3 going to finally have an 'enhanced rotate canvas' feature [like Painter]? That is, a non-destructive rotate canvas that allows the user to quickly and easily rotate the canvas to draw at different angles without actually augmenting the file during the rotation process.

example:

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/1592005616/ch04lev1sec7

Neil_Campbell
12-16-2006, 05:12 PM
From the posts on the Adobe CS3 forum, apparently the answer is no, they don't believe there is sufficient need / demand for it.

Taltos
12-17-2006, 02:59 PM
what a pity, i was really hoping for that feature... :sad:

Neil_Campbell
12-17-2006, 03:40 PM
There's been some clarification from an Adobe engineer - apparently it's not about there being insufficient demand, but for some reason they haven't been able to make it work in Photoshop.

He's said "Yeah, we tried to make it work - but the video cards and drivers just aren't quite up to it yet." and "The need is there, but there are a number of video card and driver issues that need to be solved before we can make it work as well as we'd like. "

So maybe we will see it someday, perhaps in CS4.

BlueFlare
12-17-2006, 10:16 PM
He's said "Yeah, we tried to make it work - but the video cards and drivers just aren't quite up to it yet."

Strange why he said that, because as far as I know it's already part of Painter for several years and capable of running on old video cards.

Giap
12-18-2006, 03:26 AM
Actually they can make that feature but it will make PS's speed slower. Compare brush stroke's speed in PS and brush stroke's speed in Painter, everyone can recognize easily brush stroke's speed in PS faster than in Painter very much. Because when we open Painter, it auto turn on rotating canvas so it will make Painter speed slower. Because Painter has to prepare to move every pixel immediately when you rotate your canvas. Adobe could have thougth about it so they didn't want to make that feature :D Because PS is strong at retouch and something like that, not for painting.

That's my point ^^

Hecartha
12-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Actually they can make that feature but it will make PS's speed slower. Compare brush stroke's speed in PS and brush stroke's speed in Painter, everyone can recognize easily brush stroke's speed in PS faster than in Painter very much. Because when we open Painter, it auto turn on rotating canvas so it will make Painter speed slower. Because Painter has to prepare to move every pixel immediately when you rotate your canvas. Adobe could have thougth about it so they didn't want to make that feature :D Because PS is strong at retouch and something like that, not for painting.

That's my point ^^
I don't think it is true Giap, you cannot compare brush system excludind their differences.
Photoshop use opacity method to cover your canvas and painter can in one shot use opacity and interaction between all the color under the layer where you're painting and the color you use actually. If you add also an impasto channel it will slow down considerably your work.
Anyway, if you use the same brush, with the same brush step (in photoshop under scattering/count, in painter under spacing/spacing and min spacing), with the same size and removing all extra effects in painter (bleed and resaturation for a common brush) you will see the speed is identical. Now with advanced brushes i see than painter is faster (i'm talking about painter IX.5) but perhaps it depends mostly of the computer.

Now about the rotate feature, i'm not a software engineer but i think the brush engine has nothing to do with that.
Perhaps i'm wrong but i think everything work like that in painter:
-you activate the rotation, painter will rotate virtually your canvas but not all the layers and all the effect need to be rotated, painter must use only a temporary merged canvas so it does not need too much power to calculate that.
-once you've found the correct position, painter will lock the temporary canvas.
-now you can paint on your canvas.
In reality, painter does not use the rotated canvas to calculate your image when you're painting, in fact i think painter rotate the user so the program needs to calculate the rotated brush which is pretty easy because this kind of software use this feature all the time. The only difficulty must be the changes need to appear in realtime (in rotated view=what the user see and not what the software use) when you're painting, but i think painter does not update the whole canvas, just the added or modified area is necessary to calculate.
-now you can rotate again and painter will lock the painting work...etc

So if i'm correct i don't see anything impossible with photoshop if the effect layer and filter layer are locked. Anyway perhaps the bitmap and vector mask can be a problem.

toastyovens
12-19-2006, 02:58 AM
Just one of the reasons to use Painter. I bet people at Corel was relieved by this. :)

weedlog
12-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Maybe we should to send letter to Adobe to show how many people will love rotate view feature. They really don't know how many people using Photoshop to digital painting.

quote:
Pete Bauer (Adobe)
Photoshop is an image editing program that does an (excellent) attempt to satisfy the needs of those who also need to do some digital painting. And illustration. And simple page layout. And creation of Web graphics. And simple Web galleries. And anitmated GIFs. But Photoshop is an image editing program. It does not work with databases. It does not brew coffee. It does not press trousers. If you need the canvas rotation capabilities of Painter, by all means, please work in Painter! If you need the capabilities of Photoshop that Painter does not offer, work in Photoshop! If you need BOTH, choose which program best meets the majority of your needs and work in that program the majority of the time.

You can read more here:
Adobe forum (Photoshop CS3 threads) (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=72&catid=626&threadid=1224114&enterthread=y)

mim-Armand
12-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Maybe we should to send letter to Adobe to show how many people will love rotate view feature. They really don't know how many people using Photoshop to digital painting.

I'm agree about sending letters so they whould take it in acount but I'm not agree with you about it that they don't know how many people using Photoshop to digital painting!
Btw it is really good idea that many ppl sending requestes about this option to adobe! I think it is effective atlast for CS4! ;)

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2006, 10:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.