PDA

View Full Version : Visual Sound Waves

joshstatic
12-16-2006, 04:28 AM
I've made a speaker and I want to show the sound waves being emitted visually by making rings. I DO NOT want one continuous ring extending from the speaker growing larger. What I want is a series of rings appearing and dissappearing progressively larger. Any ideas on how this can be accomplished?

normal
01-10-2007, 08:34 AM
It's possible that there is a shader that will use a sound wave to create a texture. In my experience Cinema does not do this.

The way I personally would do it is to go into After Effects and create an effects sequence using any of the filters that will render a sound wave into a visual image. In After Effects it is easy to build complex effects based on sound waves. Once you have something then render it out as an "image sequence" (numbered stills).

Then go to C4D and load the image sequence into a material channel, then sync it to the .wav file in C4D as needed.

Of course there are many ways to translate a material into something beyond a material, and the sound wave could provide a novel means of obtaining animated sound synchronized effects in such techniques as image based lighting, displacement modeling, and iteration. However, too my knowledge there is no way to use a C4D sound object directly to this end. Someone else may know better . . .

- David

normal
01-10-2007, 02:51 PM
It occurs to me that I did not really answer your question correctly at all, but answered a completely different question.:buttrock: I guess I misunderstood what you meant.

In answer to your real question:

Ah yes, you could do that with thinking particles and deformers perhaps. There is a fellow named Tim Claphan - http://www.hypa.tv. He has some good sample files to downoload that show how to set that kind of thing up - really fun and effective approach. You'll like it, but you may need to learn some Thinking Particles/Expresso to get the most out of it.

- David

normal
01-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Try using the file TP_deformer07_bulge.c4d that you will find on the site mentioned above.

Switch the cube to a torus primitive. Align to +z. You'll need to open up the expresso and switch the Pshape node to reference the torus by dragging the torus object onto the node. Don't forget to hide the Torus model that is the source object. In Tim's file you can edit the emitter settings in two places via the user data settings he arranged for the xpresso tag (select it and you'll see . . . ) and in the AM for the Pstorm node. Play arround with the emitter settings until you find something that works for you. Also unhide the bulge deformer so that you can see what it is doing, then tweak its parameters until you get the kind of pulsing rings that you want. You can then place the TP Basic Emitter object in the position of your speaker model, and then tune it up to taste from there. If you are in R9 then you can grab a TP-Gravity object from the object library and set it up to affect the toruses as well. Don't hesitate to add more deformers to make the rings even funkier. A shatter deformer used well could give you a nice way to finish them off.

You'll also note the cool proximal shader in the mix - try changing the gradient used in the fresnel shader to obtain different colored rings. Go material>Luminance>Layer>Layer 2 and double click on the layer's orange icon and then the fresnel dialog will open up now switch the colors around in the gradient found there as needed.

- David

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2007, 03:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.