PDA

View Full Version : Female Character - Need topology comments

Tzar
12-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Hey guys,

I would like some comments on the topology of this model; I really do not have any specific questions about it though, just would love some overall reactions to it. Of course it has no head, I'm currently working on it. I really want a strong, well built mesh before I jump into texturing and I would appreciate any and all comments about it. Modeled in Max 8, it has 1550 faces.The Joan of Arc tutorial helped out alot. If anyone wants a screenshot from a different angle I will be happy to post.

The chest is armour, so are the forearm components and boots.

Thanks for looking!

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6929/charactopologyzg0.jpg

BadSpleen
12-16-2006, 02:53 AM
The main problem I notice is the "smoothness" of the edges. Around the arse area (mind my french) it looks a bit jagged, I think you need to round it off a bit more. It's hard to describe what I mean, but when I model I tend to try and keep the angles that edges intersect at as obtuse as possible. i hope you know what I mean but if not then let me know and I'll try and post some examples. i would do it now but I've just got in from work and am a bit tired. Other than that I did notice quite a high amount of polygons around the neck area, so my first question would be "is this character for game engine or animation ?"

Chilli

... and then I read the forum title and slap myself, of course its for game engine !

Kleptomaniac
12-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Like chilli said, clean up some of the edge work (some of the faces look overly twisted). The neck, and waist look too cluttered. I can see a lot of edge loops that aren't really necessary.
Can we get a side shot of the feet? They look interesting (though a bit messy).
Some concept art of the character might help.

milkchancookies
12-18-2006, 04:45 AM
you have alot of unneccessary loops going on. concentrate on the vertical and horizontal loops and focus on the shape/outline of the character. get rid of the segements that terminate diagnolly for now, you have them in the wrong place. As a matter of fact don't terminate any loops just yet and just focus on the shape and you'l see which loops you can get rid of. the loops should follow the flow of the mesh, any loops that don't change the shape of the mesh you can collapse or remove for now.

living_the_dream
12-18-2006, 11:30 PM
The thighs could use a little more meat. I'm thinking they are going to need to be fairly muscular to manage those boots.

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2006, 11:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.