PDA

View Full Version : why after i delete key still animating?

manumanu
12-15-2006, 05:56 PM
hi
i dont relly understand the concept of anymation of motionbuilder,
i key my charachter in fullbody, then when i delete the keys of the arms of that same character, i mean rotation and translation, the arms are still animated the same way than before ?
can anyone knows why or how can i do to rest the arms.
thanks.

ninth_level_dan
12-15-2006, 07:05 PM
thus far I can only conclude it's because Motion Builder is crap :)
I understand your problem; it's happening to me too. On a related note, why do animation layers remain behind AFTER you've plotted all the animation down to the Skeleton? Isn't the point of plotting it down to the skeleton is because you're DONE using the layers?
OK, so the layers remain, and I try to remove the layers manually... when I do, I get a warning that I'm about to lose the animation in those layers... but since I already baked that animation off, that's not true. Sure enough, when I delete the layer, the animation stays. So again, since the animation layers are now empty, why not automatically delete them when plotting to the skeleton?
MB needs a LOT of work

xcomb
12-15-2006, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't call MotionBuilder crap, because you don't understand the concept and workflow behind.
Normaly you don't remove the whole layer, when you want to delete keys.
My own way of animating on Layers, i create layers for parts i am working with, and when i set keyframes, i usually avoid setting keyframes on full body, but on body parts, even when you want to delete on arm, you just have to switch to body parts, and delete keys, should do the job.
I've done lots of animation in MotionBuilder, and i can say you are wrong about calling it crap. Don't judge, if you don't know it!

ninth_level_dan
12-15-2006, 08:19 PM
sorry, I guess my sarcasm was not clear enough. I don't mean to start a flamewar.
I wasn't saying you should delete layers to remove keys. I was saying it's odd that animation layers remain AFTER plotting them onto the skeleton. After you've plotted back to the skeleton, there is no reason those animation layers should still exist.

xcomb
12-16-2006, 09:59 AM
In some cases, it's good that they left them, i can say that, because i do lots of animation on different characters, most of them have the same layer names, so i don't have to create layers over again, when it comes to many layers.

deana
12-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Hello, manumanu,
About your problem with the arms: Do you delete the keys on IK rig or FK rig? Arms are defaultly set to be governed by FK rig, and when you select the arms in the MB Character control windor (man icon), you select in fact IK rig controls. Therefoer you delete your IK rig keys while FK keys that move the arm stay.
Is that your problem? Do I understand it correctly?
If yes, then deselect IK in Character dontrol window, Show menu item, then select FK (yellow ball) control of the arm in your Character (in the view port) and delete the keys in the FCurves window.
Hope, this helps
Regards,

ninth_level_dan
12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
no matter what, I find it very bizarre that the control rig still has animation curves on some of it's parts, AFTER the animation has been plotted to the skeleton. If I need to go back in and do more work with the control rig, I have to delete all the keyframes and auxillary effectors and stuff first. Who ever heard of stripping all that stuff off BEFORE animating? MB's selling point is speed and simplicity. It seems if they cleaned off the control rig after plotting to the skeleton, that would be a lot simpler.

xcomb
12-19-2006, 06:25 AM
Privet Deana, ya iz Dago!
Horoshuyu rabotu vi prodelali dlya nas, hotel po blagodarit vas!
Ne ojidal uvidet vas na forume :)
What a small world!

deana
12-19-2006, 06:43 AM
Hello, xcomb,
Nice to meet you here too :))) Spasibo za dobrye slova :)

to ninth_level_dan:
Yes, really, the layers remain after you plot to skeleton. As well as aux effectors and constrains. But that is not a problem since that does not ruin your animation. It is not a burden really to delete the layers unwanted afterwards, niether is a problem to delete the control rig and if needed plot to a new one later.

ninth_level_dan
12-19-2006, 08:00 PM
I agree, it's not a burden to delete those layers and the key frames on the aux. effectors and the aux. effectors themselves... but why should I have to? Why doesn't the software do that automatically? Even though these things no longer influence the animation, by leaving the key frame markers and things there, it appears as if the software did not plot properly. How could you know that the effector no longer has any influence other than by trying it out? How could you hand this scene off to another animator, and have them confronted with all these keyframes that look like they are controlling all sorts of data. It's risky; it's easy to make the assumption that the software has screwed up. Once you bake the data to a skeleton, it's foolish for the software to leave these "shadows" of the objects that were influencing the skeleton

oranjuice
12-23-2006, 07:49 AM
I don't think it is silly that MB doesn't delete the keyframes once you have plotted at all.
It is a great way to have a backup of your work, especially if you plot and decide you need to change something. You can just activate the checkbox next to the Input type in the Charater Settings tab and presto, you have your keyframmed animation back without having to deal with the billion keys that plotting it would put on.

Also, not deletign the layers makes sense too. When you are going back and forth on and animation and making changes, you don't want to have to remake all the layers that you had for the specific parts they were for. What is the big deal with having them there if they aren't effecting anything anyway?

I think that you guys are missing the workflow of MB a bit. I have been using it for animating exclusively for about 2 years now, and I find it quite good. I must admit though, it does take some getting used to.

CGTalk Moderation
12-23-2006, 07:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.