PDA

View Full Version : Shake info

FBMachine
02-15-2003, 08:04 PM
I've been trying to find out info on Shakes architecture/workflow, and I've been coming up with jack squat, not even so much as screenshots of the interface ( ok, a couple small ones I found but still... ). I also looked on Highend's Shake forum to see if I could extract some info from there, but seriously 99.9999% of the answers to questions were "RTFM". :rolleyes: I did send a request to Apple for a Windows 2000 demo version, but since they killed the Windows version it's pretty futile I'm sure. I'd appreciate any insight any of you who have used it can provide. All the decent info I have is from the two tutorials on Apples site:
http://www.apple.com/shake/directory.html
A couple specific question I have are, when applying an effect/color op/transform, are these nodes connected to the footage node directly as a sort of effect/op list, and the output of the footage node is then effected by all these ops? Or is it more serial, like you plug the footage nodes color output into a color correct, then the output of the color correct into a blur, etc? Or is it open to both workflow choices? I have a million questions, but let me just stop here and just hope someone will be more forthcoming then the users I've seen so far, at least providing a little insight. :) Thanks,
Dan

FBMachine
02-16-2003, 04:25 AM
On second thought, I have another question. What format are the docs for the Mac and Linux versions in? Are they readable in Windows? Maybe I could just ask for a demo of the Linux or Mac version, since I don't really need to use the program to learn about it, reading the manual would be great.
Dan

Flinch
02-16-2003, 02:46 PM
When you apply an effect/color op/transform this node is connected to the footage directly. you don't have different outputs in form of color, transformation, ... But you can use your footage node multiple times, which means you can plug your footage into a colorcorrect node and plug the original footage node also into a transform node. then you have 2 different versins of you original footage: one is the colorcorrected one and the other is the transformed one. then you can plug the output of both nodes into different other nodes or you can also layer them together again as you like it.
I hope this is understandable by non-shakers.

The manual is html in the windows version. but i don't think they make it different for the mac, linux versions.

.Flinch

FBMachine
02-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info. So, it's kind of like Combustion, where nodes just have simple ins and outs, and can branch like the l33t pic I attached? :bounce: So is most of the power of Shake because of the macros? They seem to be like Maya's expressions, where you can plug in an expression/macro for any float or integer value, right? I'm mainly trying to find out what makes Shake distinct, is it these things? Or am I missing something else? Thanks. :)
Dan

Kaiser_Sose
02-16-2003, 09:07 PM
a better comparison would be digital fusion ... df is a node based compositer

beaker
02-17-2003, 06:13 PM
>>So is most of the power of Shake because of the macros?

All macros are is a bunch of nodes grouped together for quick execution. Additional things that shake's power comes from: speed, speed, speed, scripting, expressions, command line based, 2 built in keyers(primatte and cfc).

FBMachine
02-17-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by beaker

All macros are is a bunch of nodes grouped together for quick execution.
AH ok, I got all mixed up. So macros are like Houdini's subnets? I don't know how I got them mixed up with expressions.
Originally posted by beaker

Additional things that shake's power comes from: speed, speed, speed,
But is it fast? :p I'm not sure what you mean about it being command line based... Do you mean you can render a job from the command line like you would a 3d render, or do you mean it has a command line/shell in the interface that you can use to input commands and whatnot? Thanks for all the info guys. Apple got back to me about the demo and gave me a contact to get in touch with about getting a link to a download site and a temp license, but I feel like I'm wasting their time since I couldn't possibly afford to buy Shake. Maybe I'll just go ahead with it and just hope they don't ask where I work ( unemployed ), what my budget is ( $0 ), or what production I plan to use it on ( none ). :beer:
Dan

beaker
02-17-2003, 07:32 PM
>>I'm not sure what you mean about it being command line based... Do you mean you can render a job from the command line like you would a 3d render, or do you mean it has a command line/shell in the interface that you can use to input commands and whatnot?

Shake 1.0 was command line only, no gui. The gui was added in 2.0. Everything you can do in the gui is also available from the shell, so you can automate alot of processes with shell scripts, etc... Thats why they sell two versions of the software, gui and nongui(nongui is around 2/5 the cost of the gui version). People usually call the nongui version the render version, but it is the full version of shake that is command line only. Very usefull if your a td that doesn't need the gui because they are just automating the setup/precomping scripts.

>>Maybe I'll just go ahead with it and just hope they don't ask where I work ( unemployed ), what my budget is ( $0 ), or what production I plan to use it on ( none ).

Maybe ask them if they have an edu version available. Although your budget is $0, so you couldn't even afford the edu version. Not sure about the current demo version, but the older ones would continue to work after the demo license ran out, but just with a giant "SHAKE" watermark on it. It would still be usefull for learning the software.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.