PDA

View Full Version : Ken (street fighter 2) redesign

cyi
12-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Hello all,

I started this project for the contest over at PC, but didn't finish it in time. I don't have much time to work on it at the moment, but here it is with the texture at about 85%...hair still needs a lot of work. Also included is the concept. I hate how maya deals with transparency maps...has anyone successfully gotten then to work right in the viewport? I think I need a new video card, but maybe it's just maya? Any input is appreciated. Thanks for looking!
http://www.mburbank.com/kenrevolve01.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/clutchyourideas/ken_concept3.jpg

Woyman
12-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Hey this is great! Love the look, albeit too 'western' for me. I really like the semi-asian look of Ken in the games.

My only problem is that the sweats look too much like jeans. I think they need to be a bit looser and not too skin tight. I like the way it's drawn in the concept. Love the hair. I like the hair in the actual model better than the concept.

But overall, great stuff!

cyi
12-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the comments, woyman...I might revisit the pants, but I'm trying to finish this model asap, so they'll probably stay as is.
Here is a new shot with the model rigged and lit. I'm also including a wireframe. Still have to work on the texture.

http://www.mburbank.com/kenrevolve02.jpg
http://www.mburbank.com/kenwire.jpg

Kleptomaniac
12-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Looks good.:thumbsup:
I'm surprised how simply the hair mesh is, i know i go mad trying to model a whole bunch of strands to try to get a decent result.
I'm with Woyman on the face.
What's the polycount by the way?

FreakyDude
12-17-2006, 03:36 PM
how a simple costume change makes a character looks completely different. TBH i hadn't recognised him as ken if it weren't for you stting it. But I kind of like this approach. Maybe it would be more obvious if he had his long hair.

cyi
12-17-2006, 03:59 PM
kleptomaniac: Thanks! I guess I didn't put thought into the fact that he looks more asian in the game. As of now, the poly count is a little over 6500 tris, but I'm gonna try to reduce it some more.

cyi
12-17-2006, 04:01 PM
The idea behind this was to make a younger ken not long after he started fighting. I don't know how successful I was in conveying that.

Kleptomaniac
12-18-2006, 05:10 AM
Hmm i'd say the some of the facial features make him look older. On the back shot he does look "young". Just noticed, his thighs look a bit thin (relative to his calfs) on some of those shots. Not sure if it's just the angle (seeing orthographic front and back might help).
Maybe narrow the ankle region a bit.

milkchancookies
12-18-2006, 05:23 AM
I think it would help tremendously if you use human reference for this guy especially for the face. You haven't captured Ken's likeness in that face yet. The midsection looks way too long almost rubbery, and his legs could benefit from alot more girth/width.

cyi
12-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your advice guys, I have tried to fix many of his proportion issues (torso length, leg thickness issues) What do you all think? Keep in mind I am not going for absolute realism, I'd like his hands and feet feel a little large. As far as the face, I know it's not traditionally how ken looks, but the object of the contest was to redesign the character. Thanks again for your helpful crits!
http://www.mburbank.com/kenrevolve03.jpg

milkchancookies
12-18-2006, 07:46 PM
Hey cyi,

Are you using ken's face as a reference btw? I know it's a redesign but I think the face is key to what makes the character recognizable. The proportions are getting there. The biceps are too short, arms can come down some more. The thigh/knee/calf area in front view silhouette looks wrong. I have a ton of anatomy reference if you need I'll post them here. Last, imo, the bottom of the jacket could come up to the waist and wrinkle so there's something interesting in that area. :thumbsup:

ill_logic
12-18-2006, 08:30 PM
i saw this on polycount, started a fei long model myself, but it was way too late in the game & i overestimated the amount of free time i was going to have. anyhow it's looking nice. last i remembered seeing is the concept. the hair is a lot better but i like the predominantly red vs predominantly blue scheme. but that's just personal preference.
i do agree about the sweats looking way too denim like. i would say the main issue is them rolled up like that. usually sweats should be a bit bulkier/baggier at the folds. with sweat pants, you can usually just push them up & keep them up with elastic or drawstring, not cuffing them like denim. frankly i think you should just let them down to his feet, maybe a zipper on the side? he looks like he's clamdigging or something lol and if you're going to leave his bare feet, i'd say put some sort of ankle guard on them. don't hold me too it, but i think he had them in the alpha games.
the torso might be a scouch too long, but i think one of the main issues is the arms looking very short to me. and maybe the legs longer too. i realize that the sf characters are usually drawn in kind of a stocky way, but i think you could make them bulky & still longer & keep that same sort of look
also i think the character is supposed to be half japanese, which is why they always tended to make him look a bit more asian (even if it was just ploy for him & ryu being essentially the same sprites). but it is a redesign, & frankly i think he looks ok like he is now.
it's a solid model & when you get the free time, i think you should keep pushing this one along.

-J

monkeynutz
12-20-2006, 07:56 AM
It's looking pretty good. My main gripe would be the highlights on his upper cheeck (under his eyes). The highlight doesn't change direction and slope down the cheeck approaching the nose giving teh impression of an eye socket that is almost perfectly circular. It may just be me, but that just didn't look quite right. I like the redesign a lot, but I think if you started with the 'asian looking' Ken and then gruffed him up so to speak you'd get results more to your liking. Well, that's assuming your liking is a western style Ken that people recognize immediately as Ken. I'm certainly not saying it's not good, but the likeness seems a bit watered down and vague. For instance, I would not recognize this character as Ken if not for the title. I think if the contours of the face were a bit sharper and teh eyes and eyebrows were reworked a bit more to the anime style (Ken has traditionally had a very powerfully angled brow line) you might get a more successful likeness without sacrificing the more realistic western style you have here. Just a thought. Keep up the good work!

*EDIT* also, Ken has traditionally been a bit tanner than your representation. Again, just a thought since this is a rework and all, but I thought you may have overlooked it or might want to consider it.

Kleptomaniac
12-20-2006, 08:50 AM
The upper ankle region still doesn't look quite right, too cylindrical. Like ill_logic mentioned, the arms seem to short for the characters proportions. Try lower them about 1/2 to 3/4 the hand height.
If you're redesigning, you have to be carefull not too over do it or you'll end up with an unrecognisable character. You've already drastically redesigned his costume so you i'd probably stick a little closer to the original face.

Nintendians
05-15-2007, 02:55 AM
nice ken masters, he look wierd in a different way.

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2007, 02:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.