PDA

View Full Version : What programs do you recommend?

ricoisme
02-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Hi, I finally got my hands on a digital camcorder and I want to make my own clips, a mixture of cg and real video. Can anyone recommend any good programs to edit the video in. I need to be able to change the speed (so I can get slow motion) and easy edit, delete and separate audio from visual (so I can change scene without stopping the sound). It needs to be able to other stuff as well, like more advanced effects, warps, dissolves etc.
It would be a great help thanks.
Oh, and since ive never done this before any tips would be great!

Thanks.
Rich

uday
02-16-2003, 05:17 PM
You can tyr Adobe Premiere if you have a limited budget and dont want to invest in specialty hardware, which id required by some mid and top end editing systems.
Premiere will do everything you have mentioned above and then some. very easy to use .Previews are painfully slow if you donot have a Perception card(i believe the only Hardware premiere currently supports) So long edits can be tedious to preview.

On the other hand if you got loads of money then AVID is the way to go.
There are plenty other options like EDIT from Discreet(DUnno if its still in production) and some are MAC only programs line Final cut PRO from apple.

Some more details about your budget and Platform would be helpful.

ricoisme
02-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Thanks for your relpy, but theres been a problem (the camcorder not being digital for one) and i'll have to wait longer.

Thanks anyway

Rich

Kaiser_Sose
02-16-2003, 09:00 PM
for your purpose use vegas video

Pixalkiller
02-18-2003, 05:52 PM
Hey there,
For the cheapest solution...try the DV500 by Pinnacle - it imports and exports SVHS & composite, is under a grand and premiere (I think - if not, Ulead) is bundled with it.- if you had a digital camera, all you would need is a firewire port and hook it directly to your cam and control it with premiere, DVExpress, etc...- For compositing - use After Effects. Avid is way expensive and is only good for the name...You can do the same things on an inexpensive machine and software. Combustion is totally expensive, although decent enough I'll admit - just for your end of usage.....it is far above ya.

Ray

ricoisme
02-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all your help. Ill look at all the programs you suggested.

Thanks again
Rich

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.