PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 3: Carnataur

tpe
02-15-2003, 05:12 PM
How unoriginal but if this is accepted in the rules then i would like to make the Disney Dinosaur baddie Carnataur

Here is a link to the Disney character home page

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/dinosaur/html/dinosaurs/carnataur.html

http://www.ubisoft.co.jp/corp/press/dinosaur/chara/Carnotaur.jpg

The second link is the best pic of it i have found, anyone know if it is clay? whatever it is a really nice model

I will post a concept when i get the chance.

If anyone has any objections please post them and i will be glad to change theam

TIA

tpe

Just tryed to edited the title to reflect the franchised character name and correct the syntax, but it didnt seem to work it should be ...

Game Art Comp 3: (Tim Evison) (Disney Crazed Carnataur)

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur_beauty.jpg

@mrhappypants, I can dream cant I? ;).

MrHappyPants
02-15-2003, 06:35 PM
why is that unoriginal? going to make a cool model.. the colors in it are really cool. :airguitar

CGmonkey
02-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Well I don't think you will be able to model that withing the contest! That is certainly not franchised. isn't that a real specie?! ;)

tpe
02-15-2003, 07:26 PM
CgMonkey hmnn thats worrying.

In this characters favour, leagally this individual carnotaur is franchised and is sold by Disney as "Crazed Carnotaur" film star, action figure, toy, bed sheets etc etc and is protected in their usual thourough way.

Is there a moderator or judge (mrhappypants ?!?! please) who is prepared to rule on this before i go any further.

In the mean time here is a concept, what can i say its your usual big savage dino with teeth and spikes ?!!? (that texture is gonna be soo hard to do, snif

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur_concept.jpg
Hmnn feet arnt big enough fix that later...

Although Disney havnt quite managed to copyright the species (nor mouse or duck for that matter) donald micky and many more individuals are franchised. I beleive they hold the trade mark of drinking water as well (J/K)?

As it goes i would prefere to do somthing humerous so am still quite prepared to change but just cant find the right charater.
Any sugestions for non dino characters that are a little sinister but funny?

tpe

MrHappyPants
02-15-2003, 10:13 PM
ahh i thought my last post gave the ok :thumbsup:

by all means its a licensed character.. unless im really stupid and there is a red dinosaur species named that? yeah cool beans nice concept! cant wait to see the beast all done!

and i think cgmonkey was joking?

tpe
02-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Ooops thanks guys and sorry cgmonkey, had the mother in law over today so i did think it was a species, must have had a lasting effect, feel very silly now :)

tpe

CGmonkey
02-16-2003, 02:54 AM
hahaha okey! ;D

well good luck mate! I really like to see this, dinosours are allways awesome! :)

tpe
02-16-2003, 09:54 PM
getting tired here, 500 tris to go...

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur_plan.jpg

He has too many spikes in the plan, having checked some better references he has fewer and a slightly different distribution.

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur_wireframe.jpg

Its kind of embarasing showing wips, like getting caught with your underpants down.

tpe

MrHappyPants
02-16-2003, 11:59 PM
wow your really truckin! and yeah i know what you mean by being caught with your pants down.... no wait never mind? wips can be frustrating as your first stab at the model always looks funny till you revise. however i think this piece is coming along great... and i still havent posted my concept.. going to do that right now!

Krystman
02-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Very good and fast! Looking at the firs concept art, I had the impression you won't get the Head proportions right (looks more like a T-Rex) but as I see you fiexed that in your Model. Unmistakeably Carnataur. ^_^

ckaos@om
02-17-2003, 07:35 PM
:thumbsup: Great work as usual Tpe !
Just gotta love the efficiency of you poly distribution.
It's hard to see but will the spikes on his back be alpha planes or real geometry ?

monotypic
02-17-2003, 09:05 PM
getting caught with your pants down huh?... well... i guess the only comments we can really give would be " LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING!! ITS MASSIVE"... errr... yeah...

tpe
02-18-2003, 11:49 AM
monotypic I told that to the wife, she wasnt completely convinced, ho hum whats one more inferiority complex.

ckaos@om thanks. I had to do loads of tests on them, there is an animated t-rex rig on the messiah CD so i have been able to just put the mesh on that.
For the spikes on the body and head i was not able to use alpha mapping (i am using it for the tail as they are unlikly to be seen end on and i have been able to put an edge in them to stop them from being planar) as i couldnt stop them from being seen from the edge and they kept dissapearing when seen end on.
Then i tryed to model them using three triangles that bisected the polies in the body allowing me to save some tris by not having to make the body and spikes as closed geometry (incedebntly it works well with the teeth though as the morph targets compensate and the lips have to be able to move independently to bear the teeth). There was a problem with the spikes being seperate bits of mesh too, when they were under the influence of 2 bones (no weightmapping in messiah) they would move in and out of the body when the body deformed. Eventually i had to model them into the body mesh, which has used more triangles than i would have liked but it has made mapping easier, kept the profile i wanted and works well as they deform more like bits of the skin now.

tpe

ckaos@om
02-18-2003, 12:41 PM
Wow very interesting explanation !
There are a few points i did not quite completely understand though : about the alpha mapping on the tail : when speaking about putting and edge in the planes : do you mean cuting them up to change them into fleshed out triangles ?
I'm surprised Messiah doesn't have weightmaps, i haven't had the chance to check it out yet, is it really good otherwise ?

oh and please could you post some close ups of the back and mouth so as to see more clearly how you did all this ?

Anyway it looks like you almost got him rigged ?

tpe
02-20-2003, 07:59 PM
See the wire frame above for a quick update.

Well its mapped and the mesh is moer or less doen at 2480 tris. just some tweaking to do if i can getthe energy up.

Hope its ok... ... more later and good to see there are more peeps entering all the time.

ckaos@om I really dont think you should have been in the background, it would have been much nicer to see more of your stuff earlier, its great, btw whats your nic on PC? I will try and get some closeups in but in the meantime i think some of it is seeable in the new wire frame.

oops just noticed the hands are much too big, have to fix that, any other criticisms, please...

tpe

MrHappyPants
02-20-2003, 08:04 PM
hope its ok? whoa i hope your kidding that is a Very strong model! i love it! you managed to really capture the differences with the disney design versus a typical t-rex.. nice work! weve got a great comp with a lot of strong entrys coming along great!

cant wait to see that texture!

tpe
02-22-2003, 10:50 AM
Made a start on the texturing, its at 512 so far, out of shot there is a 256 that covers some tail scales the teeth and eyes. I was thinking of putting a specularity alpha layer in to simulate bump mapping, good idea? or is the subject too diffuse?
I have problems colouring things without loosing the correct brightness levels, so any help would be welcome.

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur_txt.jpg

non ray traced rendered in 3d explorer with the default white lights. any idea what a good acceptable way to render the final with a spec and transparancy maps would be?

tpe

Updating as it goes along (so occasionally it is the 1024 texturethat i am working on)...

... hmnn knew it would all go horribly wrong as soon as i tryed to colour it, gonna dump that and go back to grey scale

tpe
02-23-2003, 11:09 PM
Ugg 2 solid days of texturing, my hands are killing me, and it is looking really blurred, think i got too stuck in it , you know when you dont want to change things because of the risk of ruining so many hours work?

tpe

MrHappyPants
02-23-2003, 11:26 PM
it looks really good even if you left it where it is!! :buttrock:

id saturate the magenta a little more though.. the disney version is really colorful

ckaos@om
02-23-2003, 11:52 PM
:drool:
*jaw dropping to the floor*
simply amazing !, love the depth, the details and the overall feel!
I got only 2 crits, the big wrinkles betweend the front and hind legs look a bit overdone, almost like the dino is either very old, or very hungry.The transition between the purple and 'brown' areas is the best in the neck area, with an orrangish color .

And hey, don't go to hard on yourself, you got more than a month left!!

the spec map sounds like a good idea aswell.
Cheers! :thumbsup:

tpe
02-26-2003, 07:21 PM
MrHappyPants do you think this is any better (I left the old render in too to compare)? I did have more saturation to start with but the wife beat me with a club untill i got rid of it, i did happen to agree with her though, even if it wasnt as authentic.

ckaos@om, actually the wife dosnt like them either (erk ;)) but i kind of liked them (got to agree i do have a problem with overdoing the shadows), i got some photos of a rhino from the local zoo, aparently its a baby, but it is almost as wrinkled as my grans stockings. anyway glad you aprove of most of it, and oh god not another month of this torture :) but i will do my best to fix them in the limited amount of time left.

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur_txt1.jpg

thanks for the comments

tpe

SPyDeR WeBz
02-27-2003, 02:35 AM
Wow dude that's tight the only thing that doesn't sit well in my eyes is the fact that i see splaters of grey on his feet, shoulders and thighs.

I don't know if it's supposed to be that way but hey it's looking good other than that.

And are the tail spikes done?

Are you going to make another entry?

Looks good keep it up.
In my thread i'll post an update soon.

sanhueza
02-27-2003, 03:08 AM
This is looking amazing, congrats on the great texturing work! I think the current version is way over-saturated. I personally liked your less saturated earlier version, it looked more realisitc. Whatever you decide to do with the colors, you should be proud of this, especially getting it done so quickly. Good luck!

- Me

tpe
02-27-2003, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the criticisms, they are much apreciated.

This next pic has the original model pasted into the same picture as the 3dexplorer render (I hate having to put the two together as that really is pulling my pants down in public so all the faults can be found so easily).

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur_txt2.jpg

Here the saturation has been turned right up much more than the second render above. sanhueza i agree that the saturation should be turned down and think it looks much better like that but mr happypants is right, the saturation and the brightness in the original are both much higher. However in the film the colouration and saturation change greatly depending on the lighting from black in some shots to almost pure white in others.

I am at a bit of a loss as to wether to go for accuracy (lol now thats blown after putting the original and model side by side, oh well the horrid truth will out) or go for what imho looks nicer?

Which one do you think should go in?

@AracnO, thanks i will get rid of them (too much noise in the saturation channel there), have to model a freebee for someone next, so prolly wont have time for another entry at this rate :/. but really looking forward to seeing your beast textured :).

tpe

wanzai
02-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Sorry for not having the time to read all this but judging from the pictures only, your model rocks!

sanhueza
02-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Yeah, you're right, your reference pic is very saturated, which is what you should try to match. I like this latest render you have best of all. Better than the second one, because it is more grey than brown and more purple than red. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have two versions! :) However, I think for final submission, you should go with this new color scheme. Best of luck, and finish those tail spikes!

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

SPyDeR WeBz
02-27-2003, 07:14 PM
I thought that first one was your i was like hot damn i lost :).

But yours can be like that same one just try to equal the texturing colors and you in for the gold.

Theirs not that much difference between the two only that it's must higher in triangle count and probably uses bumpmapping :(.

You can do it man show us what yer made of.

Are ya yella? :p I don't think so.

*taco bell chiwawa voice* You can do it!

Hope to see some great new renders keep it up.

MrHappyPants
02-27-2003, 09:01 PM
ahh I like ALL of them so far but the last one with magenta is my fav.. I havent had time to read all the comments in the thread about your choice (sorry :( but id use your artistic license! any of them are very strong.. EXCELLENT WORK!

:beer: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tpe
03-02-2003, 06:21 PM
sanhueza, good, i am beginning to as well, so thats final :)

SPyDeR WeBz Think i will cheat and use a couple of hundred thousand extra tris now (no one will notice) its got to be easier than painting scales ;) anyway almost finished sorry dont think i can do much more now (got to move on)

MrHappyPants thanks for the encouragement, and i dont blame you. looks like the number of entrants has doubled recently, gotta go check em out now

wanzai thanks very much, btw, yours does too and its great to see some humor on its way in, and i am looking forward to the texture, i guess with environmental mapping all over and am wondering how best to present it (I hope to get a spec map on the teeth and eyes and on some of the scales too)?

thanks for the help all!?!?!

Sorry going to down size all the pictures if that is ok as i am running out of space, just to compound things here is a flat of the almost final skin.

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur_skin.jpg
tpe

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Whoa.. this has simply turned out amazing! you should be very happy!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

what was your procedure for texturing? Id be interested in seeing a tutorial if you have time.. I like your style/ color choices. your wrinkles/skin are fantastic, looks exactly like the original.

tpe
03-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Thank you very much for the complement, i am happy, i think i was lucky this time. As for a tutorial i am afraid that my technique sucks big time, it is mostly just trial and error. i have something down for lower res textures but it does not work well when they get higher (done a tutorial but my boss wont let me put it on the web as it has some stuff from work). This was just dodge and burn starting with the large shading, then just getting smaller and adding more detail untill all but the lines between the scales were done. they were with a single pixel brush a seperate layer duplicated (you need more than one pixel thick to work with maximum) a couple of times that i used with a photoshop maximum filter (to give the scally bumps). then i could use it in saturation, multiply and overlay to get the shading right (erasing lots of bits on different layers). each colour is on its own layer that is duplicated into a colour doge and colour burn layers the opacity of each adjusted untill it looked like the original. the colour pallete was a cheat using the eyedropper from the original model.I wish i could say that i felt confident enough to write something some time but i think i would just end up confusing anyone who read it ;).

tpe

btw working on a beauty shot, gave up on messiah as there were no weightmaps, used a biped in CS3.? and exported the mesh back to lightwave for a render using 5 area lights

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur_beauty.jpg

monotypic
03-04-2003, 09:23 AM
o_0 wow.. that looks fantastic!

...... i ,,,,have nothing more to say.

Clienad
03-05-2003, 02:30 AM
definatel one of the best low poly skins ive seen in a long time. well done.

DaKrunch
03-05-2003, 11:20 AM
no way it rocks!
:applause:

maybe i'd like the eyes a bit more nasty

very good texturing :drool:

FatherGlory
03-05-2003, 03:11 PM
Nice efficient mapping :applause:
The model and texture is well done.

You may want to play around some more with lighting and such for a rendered peace if it is not in game. Maybe a bit more subtle lighting some of the shadows seem pitch black. But thats just me being picky. heh :)

Toby W. Allen
03-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Can you realease the model as a freebie or SDK so that we can see how you did it. I would love to learn more on the way you did that model and see it directly in front of me.

Thanks again and keep up the amazing work!
Toby.

tpe
03-16-2003, 06:17 PM
I think this is just about finished. I tryed to edit one of the last posts so as it had all the pictures in the right format for the final submission but it said that i could not link so many images in one post, ho hum.

In the mean time Have a look at this, the textures got horribly jpeged to keep the size down but it works well enough to show of the mesh...

Viewpoint 3D model...

http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carno.html
and if you see a watermark please tell me and i will fix it

Toby W. Allen No problem, here is a 3ds of the thing you can do as you like with, but watch out it is Disney's design so dont do anything that will upset them.

Download the default pose mesh here...
http://users.cybercity.dk/~dsl11905/carnotaur.zip

FatherGlory yes i think even the default lighting looks better :( lol.

Da Krunch O.K i have tryed by making the sockets darker, and the brows lighter, but in the horrid lighting setup i had going they began to dissapear a bit, oh well see what you think.
Daniel C, thankyou, got to sort out the horrid lighting though :)
monotypic, lol thanks very much.

tpe

Krystman
03-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Cool! What kind of Browser plugin is that and how do you use it?

Is the texture in the Plugin original? I see some texture seams at the neck... :rolleyes:

tpe
03-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Krystman its the viewpoint (new metasteam) plugin, you can use it for free by requesting a key and downloading some software from www.viewpoint.com if you dont use it for profit.

The texture seams, well it is the original texture but unfortunatly it compresses the textures radically on compiling unless you specifically tell it not to hence the horrid effect and the seams appearing. I couldnt leave it noncompressed as i dont have the space on my site and it would take a lot longer to download. It works better on non organic things where the seams delineate various objects. It will even handle animations of various types but you will have to look into exactly what it will export from which application as it is changing all the time.

tim

zoso
03-16-2003, 06:34 PM
wow...

i'd surely run like hell if i had to fight that in a game..

great job!!

MrHappyPants
03-28-2003, 08:50 AM
oh man oh man! youve outdone yourself.. this simply ROCKS!!! youve managed to not only make an extremely highquality/functional model. but its a perfect likeness! this comp is going to be SO hard on the judges :p

hey you should post your beauty shot image at the start of the thread, this deserves to be pimped on the front page!

:beer: :beer: :beer: a six pack of beers for you!

DaKrunch
03-28-2003, 05:20 PM
Hehe Tpe great work nothing more to say...

congratulations!!!

:thumbsup:

if i were the judge it would be hard... but i think you'd be the winner ;)

ckaos@om
03-28-2003, 08:36 PM
Just great :love: :drool:
I think we have a winner indeed !:thumbsup:

Ravennome
03-28-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm might have to throw in the towel right now. Naaw, gotta finish. I love your textures bub, fantastic work.

MrHappyPants
03-28-2003, 11:57 PM
nah dont start saying winner yet :rolleyes: their are alot of strong entries and its far from over! although this is definetly a strong model you never know what the judges will like. and we have 1st/2nd/3rd place to be awarded!

excellent job everyone!

ckaos@om
03-29-2003, 12:09 AM
yep sorry , that was just to exrpess my " amazedness" guess i went overboard.:D

tpe
03-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the confidence boost guys (It always helps me when the boss slags me off on a monday morning J/K sort, of and one of these years i have to get him to pay me too), there are about a thousand fantastic entries all about to be textured so its still really early.
I think the good thing about this contest though is we are all winners. I know that sounds corny but ithink it is true in this case.
I managed to get some portfolio work out of it already, and am really looking forward to reading what the judges say irrispective of which turns out the best (or even if mine turns out to be the worst after the other contestants are finished) i am sure their comments are going to give a loads of stuff to learn from.

tpe

BurrowingDuck
03-30-2003, 07:23 AM
amazing stuff there....looks just like your reference. but hey...back up there...what's an alpha map anywho?

CGmonkey
03-30-2003, 05:21 PM
tpe, I'm truely sorry I questioned you in the beginning.. You got talent!!! Awesome stuff!! :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.