PDA

View Full Version : How to model liquids without plugins

vancliff
12-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I would like to know a good modelling technique to model liquids without plugins in Maya 8. Things like splashes and liquids pouring from bottles or glasses.

faultymoose
12-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Unfortunately, Maya doesn't have any fantastic native liquid solutions. FluidFX is brilliant at reproducing gaseous phenomena, but for any kind of viscous fluid nothing within Maya compares to something like Realflow.

However if you were needing to reproduce liquid effects within Maya natively, I would suggest you use blobby software particles and fields to hand craft the effect you are after. There are many free particle tutorials floating around. I remember one which described setting up per-particle fields so that particles would attempt to maintain volume within a container (by default, particles have no volume and would all fall to the bottom of the container) however I don't know how well it worked - I would imagine unreliably with a lot of jittering and artifacting.

Sad thing is, Maya just doesn't have an easy fluid solution, but the tools are there for you to make something passable if you have the time.

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2006, 10:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.