PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on the challenge

Dimich
12-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Sorry to sound a little naive, but I am still a little bit unclear about the rules. One of the main things that bothers me is whether we should use a full out model, or just create a basic mesh. If you could clarify the requirements on that, it would be truly greathttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif Thank you!!!

twidup
12-14-2006, 07:42 PM
you will never be modeling for the challenge, thats not what its about, its all about rigging.
Because of that, a model will always be provided.
The only time that modeling might be required is if at some point in the future we do a hyper real challenge and you have to do some cloth or soft body setup on a character.

-todd

Dimich
12-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Thank you, I want to try this challenge, and it is actually going to be my first one, so thats why I am not quite well in on such information. So, as I understood this, tomorrow the contest opens up, and those who participate will be provided with a model. Is there a need for any specific actions to register?

twidup
12-14-2006, 08:20 PM
nope, you just create a thread here with your info.

When I post the challenge info in the morning, I will also provide info on how to name your threads and such. The rules that are currently posted are the general rules for the challenges. Each challenge will also contain its own set of additional rules and guidelines specific to it.

There might be a slight delay to the first challenge, as the model I was suppose to get hasnt been delivered yet. But if there is a delay, it will only be a day or so.

Cheers
-todd

xenoid
12-27-2006, 05:43 AM
Hi Todd, need some more clarifications on the criteria:

In the Huntress Challenge thread:
Guidelines :
1 : Deformations must look good, no pinching or visible penetration (even if the armor covers it, no penetration)

But in the Challenge Rules thread:
Also, a lot of times, we will not be skinning it back to a piece of geo for the challenges, so use simple shapes, parented to the joints you would bind to to show the motion(ie, if you are doing twists and such)
As such, so are we just going to do basic geometry parenting to the rigs to show the deformations, or do actual skinning, or both?

Thanks again for this challenge! I'm having great fun doing it. :)

twidup
12-28-2006, 04:42 PM
hey Xenoid,

that challenge rule, and I need to append it to clarify it, is/was aimed at when a challenge comes up that is more like : create an arm rig, no model provided, where you would basically show off how you rig an arm rather than the challenges presented where you are rigging parts of a character. make sense?

-todd

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2006, 04:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.