PDA

View Full Version : Is this the correct way to start a model?

Solve
02-15-2003, 03:45 PM
(i'm using maya so i don't know if this applies to other 3D proggys)

I select a polygon primitive and then select convert polygon to sub div.

I was just wondering if that's how everyone begins their model.

CogsOrchish
02-15-2003, 04:50 PM
Basically, I start off with cylinders and more cylinders (Body, arms, and legs) Starting off with 6X4 subdivisions and accordingly add edges. Push and pull polys. In XSI you can select polygons and triangulate them. Many engines can only render triangles. Hope that helps. Max or XSI is probably the easiest software to poly modeling. Maya is strong in nurbs modeling. So good luck or convert if you can. Though I believe its the modeler and not the software that spits out good stuff.

CGmonkey
02-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Solve - well there is no correct way to start a model. You can start a model by doing a nurbs body and then convert it into polygon. You could begin a head with a sphere, box or whatever! I usually chose the primitives that will get me the best resault in the most effeicent way (I't s pretty stupid to start with a tourous when you are making a hand).

Solve
02-15-2003, 07:27 PM
yeah, i'm thinking about converting to max because maya is pretty difficult for low poly modeling.

Cabbe
02-15-2003, 09:36 PM
C'mon dude!

Stick with maya. Once u get it down u will be flying! I love it for low poly! What kind model are u trying to make?:thumbsup:

Solve
02-15-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm just trying to create a normal low poly human body. I've been working on it everday for 3 months and it's pure frustration. I may have to throw down the cash and get the lastest version of Max or XSI.

I know how to model, but it's little things like merging verts that are frustraing and hard to do.

cakeypigdog
02-15-2003, 10:29 PM
hey dude maya might have a poly modeling toolset that seems at odds with other apps but dont give up. she flys once it clicks with you.
check this tutorial out: i came across it yesterday and wished i had it seen it 3 months ago... im still glad i saw it though: i picked up a couple of great pointers and it reasured me that my working methods were ok!

http://www.thehobbitguy.com/tutorials/polymodeling/index.html

also try these plugins out:

cps (connect poly shape) this one automates the connection of a smoothed poly model to a low relolution one: so you can work in low detail and watch the effects in real time on your high poly model. you can get it in the maya melscrpits scection of
www.highend.com it really is an amazing and well made tool.

mjpolytools
http://www.maya3d.dk/Scripts/MJPolyTools/
these are a comprehensive set of poly tools that cover things mayas standard toolset does not. i dont use these personally (yet) but ive heard they are very good

CogsOrchish
02-15-2003, 10:47 PM
I agree with cakey there. Just stick to it and youll get it eventually. Maya is an awesome software. But if youre planning to convert to Max, forget it. Youll find it more frustrating than XSI or even Maya itself. (Former Max User)

The first link he did give you does somewhat show how to low poly model but in the end its too high. The maximum head poly count should be less than 1400 give or take the detail of your body. Always set a target polycount before you start. My target poly count is usually less than 3000 because thats what my friends in the industry tell me. (Portfolio piece)

jimiyo
02-15-2003, 11:19 PM
i use maya for low polys and i think its pretty awesome. maya has a real intuitive workflow, and the basic tools are really all that you need.

theres alot of information you have to know when you work with polygons in maya. you really have to get to know what happens when you use each of the tools.

ive been working with poly modeling for almost a year and half now and beyond the basic tools, i havent had to learn any new tools, unless its just shortens the process like mjpolytools (a necessity for poly modeling!)

also i think modeling in anything gets back to the natural artistic ability to visualize...

DARK_DRAGON
02-15-2003, 11:24 PM
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with CogsOrchish
on the fact that MAX isnt good for poly modeling.

now it's true that you are ALL right about it being the MODLER, NOT the software that makes a good model, and i havent had the chance to use maya yet, BUT max 5 has a very powerful poly modeling setup, and with the addition of meshtools integrated into the UI, it's a joy to work with.

BUT!!! dont stop trying to get your model working with maya. Like all the rest of these great people have already said, just stick with it, and read some tutorials. once you've got it, you'll be UNSTOPABLE!!!!

good luck!!!

Gibbz
02-15-2003, 11:24 PM
i find max is a piece of cake, so easy and simple to use, on the other hand i find maya has extremely odd movment system, and the interface is a mess... so it really depends on what YOUR comfortable with, and not somone else ;)

chrisdejoya
02-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Stick with Maya, pick up Wings3D if you want a meshtools like workflow. That's coming from a max 5 user trying to make the switch.

SecseanZ
02-16-2003, 11:39 AM
I use maya because thats what I learned on, it flows with me finally but I think if you stick with anyy software and learn their ropes it becomes closer to art. Now about the frustration - that is a bridge you MUST overcome, otherwise you should master knitting.

kureransu
02-16-2003, 04:49 PM
I can honestly say that to me max is VERy good for low poly modeling. I use max and maya, but for my low poly.. i love max 5. the interface isn't bad, if you know how to use the quads and a few keyboard shortcuts you never will have to look for anything. it is always a right-click away.

Now i am not saying maya is bad.. I can model pretty good in maya, i just can't find everything. i wish i knew how to link pics on here so i could post some of my low poly work.... (which by the way i try to make it look very good in under 1000 polys)

as far as how i model i start of with a box, cut it in half and use the lovely symetry tool that max has, which mirrors the object and welds it toget automayically, and it also lets you toggle it on or off. and form the extrude faces move lines and push/pull vertices. I hope i helped!

chrisdejoya
02-16-2003, 07:44 PM
max 5's poly toolset is the damnest finest i have ever tried, it's just that the software keeps crashing on me. might be my hardware, who knows.

anyone the equivalent of max 5's connect edge tool in maya?

Ionized
02-16-2003, 11:43 PM
A few tips for character construction, sorry if you already know most of this...

I'm coming from a max background, but I'm assuming Maya has similar functions

-always sketch out front and side views and use them as templates

-rough in your general shape first before adding detail

-bind your most often used commands to easy to reach keys. I use collapse, weld, cut and chamfer a lot.

-I start with a box and then extrude, cut and bevel sections out to get my arms, legs and head.

-work in half, and instance the other half

-spend the time to work out the snap options. They will save you a lot of pain when welding verts or cutting edges.

The type of software doesn't matter jack if you know your way around it, so dont worry, and stick with what you've started

good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.