PDA

View Full Version : Selective reflections

posmaker
12-14-2006, 11:30 AM
I have been doing some research on how most of the materials react to the light and to the environment in relation to its reflectiveness and I have noticed that most of them only reflect the light sources and the extreme highlights surrounding them. So my point is, is there any way of selectively set which objects are seen in the reflection of a particular shader? Maya 8 has a new shadow linking feature so, why not having kind of reflection linking tool? Everybody knows how unreal the faked "reflected lights" (usually called specular ;) ) behave so it could be really cool modeling texturing the light source (for reflective purpouses) and then linking them to the desired shader/object avoiding expensive computation and leaving the "full raytrace everything" only to those shaders/objects that requiere them.
Of course I know I can do it in post, with different layers but I think it would be cool being able to control this inside maya/mental Ray.
Does this make sense? Any ideas on the topic?

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2006, 11:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.