PDA

View Full Version : Change Particle shape by camera distance?

CapitanRed
12-14-2006, 12:45 AM
I have a very havy scene, and every particle is a object instance. but the most of the particles are so far away, that you can't see, that they are objects.

is there a way to change from object instance to facing particles by the camera distance?

i can't make the particles which are far away another shape simply by a new event, because all particles are rotating, and come near to the camera and go away and come near again...

some ideas?

SoLiTuDe
12-14-2006, 08:54 AM
This could work in most cases... but it really depends on your scene. You'll notice that if you move the emitter to the other side of the deflectors it doesn't behave as expected because it has to hit deflector1, then deflector2 in order to work properly, rather than starting off on the other side, then immediately hitting the other deflector... you'll see what i mean. I linked the deflectors to the camera, so you can see that it changes based on camera distance, and you can of course move the deflectors....

http://www.innersolitude.com/Cam_Dist_Shape.max

You can create loops in the flow... so if this is too basic for your scene, you'll probably
end up wanting to use an script test to test distance to the camera instead of the way i have it set up, but you can create the loop to back and forth between the two shapes like that.

yoni-cohen
12-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Bobo has a very clean tutorial about changing LOD of particles based on cam distance using script:
http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs5/pflow/pflow__particle_resolution_by_camera_distance.htm

CapitanRed
12-14-2006, 10:25 AM
hmmm....thanx man, thats a cool idea. and actually very simple. i think i'll link a sphere deflector to tha camera and that will work...i hope ;)

thanx for your help :)

CapitanRed
12-14-2006, 11:01 AM
ouu weee!! :D

Thats a nice one yoni-cohen. thanx!

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2006, 11:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.