PDA

View Full Version : The MaTTe War on Brushes: Photoshop agains to Painter

Onder
12-13-2006, 02:24 PM
"By far the most commonly used tool for matte paintings is Photoshop." says in one of the matte painting article in fxguide.com and it goes on "It towers over all other programs, especially with recent additions to its painterly functions. The second most common - especially for those artists who also do concept art - is Corel Painter, a program that was built on natural brush simulation."

To be honest i am not into another Adobe Photoshop-Corel Painter discussion here, however, when i check Photoshop.Matte.Painting.Tutorial pdf book, i simply noticed another side of designs. As i call, discriminate between "Vulgar Matte" and "Matte Art"..

Of course i agree, in marketing economy, you are runing with time. In this situation, you cant work on thousands and thousands of frames each by each as a painter in any product, while your "dead-line" is smiling to you not so far, you must find easy, cheaper and faster solutions. As the tutorial shows, you simply find 4-5 photos, cut, copy paste to your main composition, give some filters, maybe some retouches.......use a render service to saving time and just kick it away.. This is a necessary ways maybe but what about art ?

As thefxguide.com shows the result "For many Photoshop artists it is hard to imagine using anything else. However, many concept artists and digi-matte painters use Painter. The primary motivation of most Painter artists is to produce a less rigid and more open style of image with much of the natural look that comes from natural media. If Photoshop comes from photo-retouch, Painter comes from drawing original images."

The digi-matte artists who use traditional way, such as, on a naked human body, dress it with their own brushes, drawing a backround then paint, give a dimension with their own way, and try to catch reality as posible as they can without using any cut, copy or paste system, Painter is indispensable.

But as i see in many profiles, someone who knows what is "decupe" and simply read 1-2 tutorials as Photoshop shows, can be a "matte painter" easily ?

No, surely i cant say that... this is not only a personal chooice or different styles.. This is more then that..There is a difference in main idea and i am sure you got it..

Before i continue to war between Photoshop&Painter with examples,, especially on Photoshop Creative Suit 3 which will be in market on April-May 2007, i want to learn your opinion first, wish to see what is in your hand..

So guys, what is your sword in this war ? and why ??

Xdreamer79
12-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Simple photoshop cause I am familiar with it. I can't work with painter - dont know exactly why.

Velarion
12-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm working mostly on Photoshop.I used to paint in Painter last year though.But the reason I painted in Painter was the plenty of brush strokes for painting.But now I created my own custom brushes so I have no need for painter.

But anyway photoshop I think always the number one software because the cropping,photo manipulation uses of Painter is very silly.The viewport was designed for painting mostly.But in photoshop not only we can paint,but can manipulate the image&photos whenever we like.I think painter is more suitable for a concept designer.But photoshop is master of all.

CodeNothing
01-10-2007, 11:47 PM
I have used photoshop for years and years. I find it easy to sketch in, paint in, and import photos over the painting to make it look photorealistic.

But, for rough quick stuff, it always has that 'digital' look to it. So usualy, i worked on paper for rough works and fast pieces. It just has more character that way. And doesnt seem so 'cheap'.

Then painter came along... BEHOLD! A digital painting program that accurately simulates dry and wet media! I was extreamly impressed with the textures, brushes, and overall 'Life' that came out of the digital pieces.

...But, I spent a few months struggling to learn the interface, live without the photoshop tools, Find a workflow with Painters tools, and in the end, Its just like... painting, but I dont get to paint.... and i LIKE painting.... so... i went back to painting... with paint.

Its kind of like.... "we created this incredible Texas Hold'em Home TV game!" so five people sit around your TV holding a controller and pushing buttons to play poker on the screen. Why not just use cards?

I like painter, but its still just a cheaper alternative to the real thing. For Matte paintings, Photoshop is still by far the most powerfull tool on earth.

Matellis
01-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Whenever I am painting I have both photoshop and painter open because each has there strong points and using both allows be to benifit from each. For example I almost always start a sketch in painter and then when its time to start detailing and getting the idea clear I switch to photoshop. And when I want dynamic lighting I go back to painter. and finish it up in photoshop. So I am all over the place.
Also when I am trying to design say a building for the picture I like to come up with the ideas in 3D (some of the time). I find working in 3d space can make me more creative in certain situations.

Cheers!

Matt
01-13-2007, 02:23 AM
I'm not a matte painter, but I use both programs and I find that Painter only lacks three things that I have to go back to Photoshop for...

1. Photoshop has superior layer organization and effects. Yes, I can paint these effects manually, but it's so much easier to just go into Photoshop and use color dodge or something similar.

2. Painter lacks a polygonal lasso tool.

3. Painter lacks robust output tools.

For most of my work (comic book painting) I set the file up in Photoshop first, and do any tasks that might not be executed as well in Painter, such as quickly dropping in gradients everywhere to make a lighting mock up, and then I go to Painter for the real work. Coloring on most pieces is usually done in Photoshop.

antonymuse
01-17-2007, 05:29 AM
For me photoshop will always be the main software. It is very sensible and very convenient to use, there is no replacing this monster of a program.

I like painter too, I am learning it. It's swarm of brushes and textrues, my god, i get lost all the time:) but i have seen several artists like Ryan church work on this package dedicatedly and the speed and prefessionalism that i see is amazing. I saw the demo clip of his at the Gnomon website.

One thing that irks me everytime i go to painter afater doing some work in photoshop is the shortcut for zoom tool. Why is it 'M' rather than nthe more handy and powerful 'Z' that photoshop uses. Everytime i find myself pressing the 'Z' key for zoom and the knife tool comes along and i don't even know what that tool does!

Another big surprise, well, rather disappointing one was that painter doesn't respect the opacity value of brushes as much as photoshop does. 10% opacity still looks like 100% in painter while photoshop works like a dream with these opacity values.

Still goto work on PsCS3, oh my god i must be the last soul on earth who has et to try CS3.

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2007, 05:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.