PDA

View Full Version : house/other building

three
02-15-2003, 03:01 AM
I've been roaming the net for a tutorial on how to model buildings (preferrably low poly, for a 3d based game) but can't seem to find any. So I thought I'd ask the real experts, you guys.
How should I do it?
Should I extract the walls from the ground plane or set the floor and import walls on top of them?
And how the beep am I going to texture it later? Should I divide the walls one by one, or make a texture map for the whole thing?

Additional information:
3D Studio MAX 4
all related plugins that follow with the product.

Jonny Bubonic
02-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Hey there....well, there's no hard and fast rules, but since most buildings are fairly box shaped, start with a cube :) You'll really just need to experiment.
As for texturing, don't approach it the same way as a character. You'll need repeating tiled textures for the most part, eg a tiling brick texture for the walls, a tiling slate texture for the roof etc. Don't map the whole thing onto one giant texture !
You can break up the repeat a bit by inserting the odd variation...like a copy of your brick texture thats had a few bricks discoloured or cracked. Also, you can use multi-pass texturing to overlay other textures like moss etc. over your base textures. This overlayed texture can vary from full opacity to none at all per vertex, so you can make some very naturalistic looking surfaces like this. Hope that all makes some kind of sense,
-JB

three
02-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Thanks dude :) And yeah, it did make sense. I'll try this out later on tonight.
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.