PDA

View Full Version : modeling video by yours truely

Jonathan
02-15-2003, 02:22 AM
Here it is. It's a little rough and I ran it fast to save time. Used a screen capture tool I downloaded so I wanted to have a bit of fun with it. Since so many people are challenged by ears and most users go to great lengths to make sure that they have suitable polygons to create them on their heads, I took it upon myself to show how easily it can be done with a single quad.

USES Divx 5.03 codec.

Build It Up and Build it Out!!!

ps. BTW, did I say it uses Divx 5.03 :)

ear modeling video (http://www.btinternet.com/~jonathan.west3/images/shorts/eartut.avi)

Infinity3d4life
02-15-2003, 02:41 AM
downloading now.. Just wanted to say thanks ahead of time for doing this:)

wgreenlee1
02-15-2003, 02:57 AM
Why Jonathan I thought you hated modeling ears...:beer:
I thought you said you were still copy+pasting the first one you made?:scream:

Thanks man I will check it out!:thumbsup:

EDIT:WOW!!!
Very cool!
You really need to send this to NewTek to have them put in their tutorials section.
Very good stuff!

Chewey
02-15-2003, 03:05 AM
The video shows the lightwave window but with nothing but grey in the modeling window.

Jonathan
02-15-2003, 03:07 AM
That's true wgreenlee1. Of late however I have been working out all of my weaknesses instead of avoiding them. The head on approach has made me a far better modeler. I'm going to need all the skills I can muster if I want to make it and that means facing down my weaknesses and beating them into a bloody pulp. So now I use the primative method of modeling even more than the vertex method. hehehehehe I don't even need the UI as I have all the keys I use short cutted. Bandsaw-pro, spin quads, and smooth shift. I get far better geometry and less polygon redundancy. :)

Jonathan
02-15-2003, 03:08 AM
I've got 4 other machines chewy, I'll try them on them.

Okay Chewy, they ran just fine on all of my machines. WinNT4.0, Win2k and WinXP. You however are not the only one to complain about this so I'm gonna do a windows media version and repost the first thread with the updated version.

SplineGod
02-15-2003, 07:39 AM
Funny thing about ears; theyre probably the most difficult part of the head to model. Nobody cares about them unless theyre terrible. If theyre good nobody pays attention to them.
So my advice is to make one really great ear and reuse it over and over. :)

proton
02-15-2003, 01:38 PM
the viewports don't show up in the video....weird:hmm:

MrWyatt
02-15-2003, 02:18 PM
just grey metal look all over the place, canīt see the ear .

Jonathan
02-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Only one person has been able to see this thing and I am in the process of redo in WMV, are you sure you have Divx 5.03, it won't run with Divx 5.02

aaahhhh this is frustrating. I'll just do it with images instead of video. Be on the lookout. :D

Meshbuilder
02-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Or a QT version, please :)

Warp
02-16-2003, 08:51 PM
dowloading User Delta's ear modeling tut, hope yours is less than 20mb :) (just kiddin' but dial-up sux) keep on :buttrock:

Jonathan
02-16-2003, 11:11 PM
The Quicktime version is now up. Follow this link

quicktime version (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44226)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.