PDA

View Full Version : Creating a landscape...

Naisart
02-15-2003, 12:34 AM
Hi,
Iīm doing a short animation, just for exercise, nothing special and I was wondering how to create a decent landscape?

I have made two planes which are going to fly around and I was wondering for example if I should make the ground very big, so that the edges wohnīt show, or if I for example should put polygons around the edges with images of perhaps mountains or forrest or something like that to hide the edges?

And what is a good way to create the sky, just put a map using image world? (I will render it using the super celshader)
(Expect more questions from me :) )

Thanks in advance!

mohh
02-15-2003, 12:49 AM
For the terrain I would use this technique: Hades Animation Studios: Infinite Landscapes (http://www.hades-studios.com/infinitelandscape)

Naisart
02-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Cool tutorial, will try that out, thanks for the help!

Naisart
02-15-2003, 01:31 PM
Ok, I followed the tutorial and got a decent landscape thatīs quite bumpy. I also have a piece of road or a lane that I want on the landscape.

The problem is that the road doesnīt follow the pattern of the landscape wich leaves empty spaces under it. Is there any way to make the road follow the bumps and deformations of the landscape?

Thanks in advance!

carefulconan
02-15-2003, 01:57 PM
That looks so impressive. I'm going to have to give this one
a try.

I'm sure the Bryce people are crying into their soup...
amazing.

why not put your road on a bridge. so you can elevate it up out
of the way of your landscape ?

Naisart
02-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Hmm, I could do that but I would rather make it form with the landscape. Itīs actually a lane for airplanes (I donīt know the name) so it wouldnīt look that nice if I put it on a bridge.

Anyone else?

Naisart
02-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Yay, I managed to figure it out. Thanks for the help.

mohh
02-15-2003, 03:29 PM
So what did you do? Can you show a pic?

Naisart
02-15-2003, 03:36 PM
I can tell it, no need for a pic :)
As I had used a displacement map for the landscape I figgured, why not use the same map for the lane. So I made a new lane with a lot of segments and then I applied the same displacement maps to the lane and lowered the opacity a bit and it worked great. And an important thing, I use world cordinates for all the maps which I think is why it works, because wherever I move the lane, it deforms according to the landscape.

Maybe it was a bit stupid of me not to mention that I had used a displacement map for the landscape.

mohh
02-15-2003, 03:43 PM
That's what I was thinking, but thought that the lane would come out too bumpy.

Thanks.

Dreamwave
02-15-2003, 03:53 PM
thnx very much for the tutorial, it's much better than the one on lightwace.com

mumphy, maybe you want to check it out anyway?
I mean this one http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/surface/texturing/texturing_landscape.html ;)

Naisart
02-15-2003, 11:40 PM
thnx very much for the tutorial, it's much better than the one on lightwace.com

mumphy, maybe you want to check it out anyway?
I mean this one http://www.newtek.com/products/ligh..._landscape.html
Yep, I have seen that one before, thanks anyway. But the landscape issue got resolved.

I have another question though. How can I make the tires of my airplane start rotate at, for example frame 30 and then continue rotating until frame 90 (stop at frame 90)?
And how can I do this so that the wheels doesnīt rotate too fast or too slow according to the speed?

Thanks in advance!

mohh
02-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Cyclist would be what you need for that. You can find it under the motion options.

Naisart
02-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Ok, will check it out, thanks again for the help mohh!

RPG2006
02-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Sorry, but is 'runway' the word you were looking for?

Eman597
02-16-2003, 03:16 AM
hey, ive seen that no one has answered your "sky" question. Do you not know about skytracer? it automatically generates sky domes, and there are some nice presets for it. Its under the scene tab if you want to take a look!

Naisart
02-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Sorry, but is 'runway' the word you were looking for?
Yep, thatīs the word!:)

hey, ive seen that no one has answered your "sky" question. Do you not know about skytracer? it automatically generates sky domes, and there are some nice presets for it. Its under the scene tab if you want to take a look!

Yeah, I know about skytracer but the render times are so long, is there any way to make a nice sky with minimum render times?

Thanks in advance!

mohh
02-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Have you tried Eki's PlugPak (http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/) ?

Naisart
02-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Nope, will look into that one. Thanks!

Iīm getting ready to animating my planes and I was wondering how to do it. Itīs supposed to be a race, they are going to race with eachother and fly around the landscape. I mean, should I first animte one of the planes and make everything work for that plane and then start animating the second one?
Or should I approach this differantly?

Thanks in advance!

Naisart
02-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Another thing, I have made an evelope for the global light intesity: frame: -30 0% --> frame: 25 100%, but still when i render a frame at frame: -30, itīs not completly black. There is still light coming from somewhere.

I also did the same thing to all the lights in the scene, but itīs still not completly black, why is that?

Thanks in advance!

uncommongrafx
02-16-2003, 06:31 PM
Sounds like you have ambient light set at the default 25%.
And, chuckle, this ain't whatchya wanna hear but try this guys stuff out for scenery -- Frickkin' awesome!! And some of the scenes are quite quick. On my box, at least. ;)
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pq1a-ogs/taiki.html
Robert Wilson
UnCommon Grafx

Naisart
02-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Sounds like you have ambient light set at the default 25%.
Nope, ambiant light is set at 4% but I have also made an envelope for the ambiant light so that it is 0% at frame: -30.

Fasty
02-17-2003, 02:25 AM
Ok about roads not following the landscape..
I remember reading a tutorial about how to do this in Terragen, and I'm sure the same technique could be applied here.
The gist of the tutorial was to save the greyscale landscape image then in photohop "posterise" it so that it makes bands around the landscape. Then magic wand a band and copy/past it onto the original greyscale landscape, which should give the effect of a road following the landscape.

SplineGod
02-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Mumphy
Yep, I have seen that one before, thanks anyway. But the landscape issue got resolved.

I have another question though. How can I make the tires of my airplane start rotate at, for example frame 30 and then continue rotating until frame 90 (stop at frame 90)?
And how can I do this so that the wheels doesnīt rotate too fast or too slow according to the speed?

Thanks in advance!
Whats the distance the plane travels from frame 30 - 90?
The circumference of the wheel is 2*pi*r
From that you simply rotate the wheel that many times in the graph editor. Its simple. :)

Naisart
02-17-2003, 11:01 AM
Whats the distance the plane travels from frame 30 - 90?
The circumference of the wheel is 2*pi*r
From that you simply rotate the wheel that many times in the graph editor. Its simple.
Yeah, that was pretty simple :) I didnīt think of that, thanks for the help!

Hellbring
02-17-2003, 03:43 PM
anyone have the link to a totorial that showed how to model an ocean so that the center had lots of polys and it got lesser as it continued outward?

peterpro
02-19-2003, 07:31 AM
use weight maps and the translate (move) tool.

create a new map
set to 0
use the airbrush and paint some spots
pull up your detail by setting the translate tool to weightmap falloff.
jitter a small amount
smooth it
repeat if necessary
set to double sided, and smooth, set gradient
use slope and set colors.

=)

quick terrain

hooray for weightmaps

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.