PDA

View Full Version : When to charge

JackaL(px)
02-15-2003, 12:06 AM
I have been using photoshop for about 6 months now, mainly doing logos for friends and some websites, recently i did a wallpaper and am now working on a big Poster for a mate.

I find doing things with photoshop really enjoyable and getting paid for it would be a real bonus, i have very limited knowledge of HTML at the moment but plan to learn it, some general things to do with flash and 3dsmax.

Whats a good way to get into the business and earn money? :beer: being 16 and at 6th form/college i dont really wanna go out and get a full time job but freelancing would be good.

Reading some of the worse comments things in general disscussion is a good laugh, havent had much problem with that, as i normally get them to say exactly what they want or to say that i can do as i please, but it sounds frustrating!

:bounce:

singularity2006
02-15-2003, 04:39 AM
as a college freshiemeat, I charge per project. The full time good skilled pros charge hourly. And generally, the rule is for hourly, u take something like 6x what you get from your regular day job. But yeah, per project, I generally charge about $400-$600 depending on the size of the project. That's my rate for websites.

dg
02-15-2003, 06:22 AM
How much do you know?
What kind of results you can achive?
Wich technologies you are able to implement?
What do you have to do on the project?, scan, text, animation, design, compositing, video editing, 3D, flash, shockwave....
How big the project is?
Can you handle the project alone?
Do you need programing?

All these factors will make all the diferences in the project final price and the in the delivery time.

For starting I would only get simple things, just to get an idea of the work, how long do you take to do things and things like that.
Is useless charge 600USD for a project that you will spend 6 months doing, so you must consider all these factors to get a honest price for you client and for you.

Good luck :D
See Ya!

JackaL(px)
02-15-2003, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the idea, i still have a lot to learn imo, i browse these forums and just am amazed by some of the work i am mainly doing graphics and i want to focus on that for a while longer before i really start to learn to code.

Here are some of the things i have been doing for friends, some are game related.

Logo style 1 (http://www.nsrtfc.com/gfx/work/siggies/reaction/apoclogo.jpg)

Logo 2 (http://www.nsrtfc.com/gfx/work/siggies/reaction/ocslogo.jpg)

Logo 3 (http://www.nsrtfc.com/gfx/work/siggies/reaction/tonkalogo.jpg)

Logo 4 (http://www.nsrtfc.com/gfx/work/siggies/reaction/killerhertzlogo2.jpg)

:bounce: :bounce:

JamesMK
02-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Just a general good-to-know thing from me here:

If it's a fairly big project, something that will take a month or more to complete, and particularly if it is not for someone you know personally - make an agreement to get half of the money just after you start working on it. Then the other half after you deliver the final product.
That will attach some strings between you and your customer, making it less likely that things go bad.

kraal
02-15-2003, 05:23 PM
i have been freelancing for the past 8 years....um first of all charging 6x you make in an average day is a great way to lose credability i do not know where you got that info rom cause work is based on how long it takes......to make an hourly price you firgure out how much you need to make (per week, per month , per year whatever) and divide that by how many hours you are working a week....now you have to be realistic here is you are only working 10 hours a week you cannot charge 100.00 an hour just to make 1000.00 now i have a question about the work you sumbmited how much of that is completly made by you..without scans and such...because all i am seeing is type treatments...which is a little different than logo creations and coporate identity so truthfully you have to look at that and realize you can problaly only charge about 25.00 a pop without pissing anyone off.......you may also see what people are willing to pay you for design.....if they ask you to do something ask them how much they can afford to pay......for the most part friends just want something for free unless they are making money off of it themselves i can give you some more tips in moving into free lance if you really want them just ask......

KotsVlok
02-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by kraal
i can give you some more tips in moving into free lance if you really want them just ask......
Yes please :bounce:

kraal
02-16-2003, 08:58 PM
KotsVlok
post another subject with a specific question others may help too....samples of the type of work you are doing may help also

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.