PDA

View Full Version : WWI supply truck

sanhueza
02-14-2003, 11:54 PM
Hola compadres!

Here's a model I started this week. It's a supply truck from the first World War. The poly count in triangles is exactly 800, which is my limit. I'm currently unwrapping the UVs. I'm pretty much done with the modeling and am eager to start texturing, but any feedback or criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/truck_wire.jpg

I'll post some reference images soon (although they're all old black & white photos :p )

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

Gibbz
02-15-2003, 12:11 AM
looks nice, is it for a game?

hanzo
02-15-2003, 02:53 AM
good modelling, post more like that...
We don't usually see WW1 stuff around here!

hmm! i was just inspired:surprised

MrHappyPants
02-15-2003, 05:28 AM
the model looks good.. it has alot of weight and believability to it. I can see it rumbling down a cobblestone road with soldiers running by.

really want to see those ref pics, WW1 stuff if very interesting!

sanhueza
02-15-2003, 06:54 AM
I'm glad people find this so interesting. It's not for an actual game, but for an art test. So if I do a good enough job on this, maybe it will end up in a game. Keeping fingers crossed.... Here's a reference pic:

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/truck_ref1.jpg

UV mapping is finished, texture painting under way...

www.sanhueza.com

lordmachuca
02-15-2003, 07:01 AM
well you couldprobably save some polys on those little nubs
in the center of the tires. those could very well just be textured on. looks great man cant wait to see the texture. do you have any limitations on the texture? what size are they going to be.

sanhueza
02-17-2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, lordmachuca. The texture is going to be one 512x512 sheet, with alpha channel for transparency.

Here's another reference photo. Hopefully I'll have an update to post soon.

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/truck_ref2.jpg

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

MrHappyPants
02-17-2003, 04:40 PM
this is for an art test right, did they give you texture guidelines to follow? I would think a 512x512 texture on a 800 poly truck would be overkill.. think you could get the job done with a couple 128x128 textures or at most a 256x256?

cant wait to see it textured.. not enough people creating these old vehicles!

dmbilly4
02-17-2003, 04:41 PM
looks good. I can't wait to see it with the textures!

hanzo
02-18-2003, 01:28 AM
ya, common sanhueza make it :scream: and if it's already made :thumbsup: show us!

sanhueza
02-18-2003, 03:58 PM
The texture limit I was given is one 512x512 texture. There is actually quite a bit of surface area I need to texture on this thing, especially since I am also doing the interiors of the cab and cargo area. So I'm happy to be able to use this high of a resolution.

I wasn't able to work on the truck this weekend, so I just started the texture up again last night. I'll post an image soon, when the texturing is a little further on. Until then, here's another reference pic to get all nostalgic over... :cool:

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/truck_ref3.jpg

www.sanhueza.com

hanzo
02-19-2003, 01:37 AM
Did Brits and Germans use that model?..lol

Thought hit me, those could make a great texture fa a WW1/2 shooter object.paintings, photos, etc..

Kaz
02-19-2003, 04:47 AM
Just a few suggestions. I think you could either make it lower poly or use the extra polys from these edits to make things like tires a little smoother.

A: these area's look pretty flat and anything that is flat shouldn't need extra verts. could be fixed easy by just merging.

B: I'm not sure if its the image quality or what but under the stearing wheel looks like a lot of segments in that cylinder which would add a lot of extra polys.

C: forgot why i marked this one. Just ignore it. I can see how you can get rid of that vertex on the roof. but looks like you want it to be that shape on top.

D: looks like the same problem as A. Just 2 verts that could be just 1 since the area is pretty flat.

The most concern would be B. everything else would only save maybe 20 or so polys. Anyway nice work.

sanhueza
02-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Kaz! You have a good eye for detail. I have some explanations to go along with your ideas:

A: Those extra flat polygons are actually angled a bit and lie slightly in front of where the canopy and the truck meet. These polygons are going to be ropes that tie the two together, using an alpha transparency to hide most of the poly surface excepting the ropes.

B: The steering wheel cylinder only has 3 sides as it is. Guess it must be the image quality. :)

C: Okay. Okay. Yup. And yup. :cool:

D: That's actually a weird error in the wireframe. The extra polys there are actually facing the other way, they are the inside of the cab's roof. Sometimes the shaded wireframe makes polys that are really close to each other show up like they are on top of each other. It doesn't look that way when textured though.

I have an update on my progress with the texture. I normally don't like to show textures this early in the process, because there is much that is going to change or is missing at the moment. But since alot of people appear eager for an update, I'll throw you a bone. ;)

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/truck_inprogress.jpg

As of now, I have most of the basics done for the front end of the truck, and its interior. I haven't had time to work on that roof yet, or the cargo section. The wheels and canopy are hidden because they also have not yet been touched. Once the basic foundation for all of these areas is done, I will go back to put on the finishing touches over the whole thing. These will include:

1. Scratches, dents, and rust
2. Mud
3. Decals and painted writing/symbols

This is still very much a work in progress, but comments are welcome, nonetheless. Muchas gracias,

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

MrHappyPants
02-19-2003, 09:25 PM
lookin good! i hope you aim to make the finished texture as dirty and weathered as possible.. trucks like that with wood panels and cloth tarps are always VERY desaturated and beat to *#&@

especially military vehicles used on dirt roads..

i only mention this cause your textures starting color is a very brilliant blue/green.. id bet a truck like that would be pale and the only color on it would be from the mud. the wood would be faded grey, and the cloth would be beige.. I think earth tones will work best with this rig!

:thumbsup:

sanhueza
02-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Edit: Here is an updated render showing the latest version of the texture. The rear view can be seen in a later post below -

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/testy.jpg

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

AgentX
02-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Hey sanhueza, that first pic with the wireframe...you said it was 800 polys? Is that triangulated? i see that wire is quads. Can i see a triangulated wire please? Thanks

MrHappyPants
02-23-2003, 11:33 PM
looks really good! the canopy might need more wrinkles.. especially where the ropes attach to the eylets.. oh and those eylets would be slightly lower since the ropes are pulling down on the material. :beer:

CADster
02-24-2003, 05:10 PM
i would remove the light outline thats around the ropes... maybe add a slight drop shadow (this is in addition to happypants input)

sanhueza
02-24-2003, 05:58 PM
I'm actually having a problem with those light outlines. They're on the ropes, the wheel spokes, and that curved cutaway on the side of the cab roof. They are there because of the transparency alpha map, but I do not know why. Perhaps it is a problem with LightWave's renderer, or my transparency alpha, or is this a common problem with transparency maps? Any knowledge that someone may have to help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Me

CADster
02-25-2003, 12:54 AM
paint your wheel and rope solid and let the alpha to the trim work... does that make sence ?

if it still does it, then redo your alpha so the edges are not anti-aliased

sanhueza
02-27-2003, 02:14 AM
Thanks, CADster. I fixed the transparency problem within my renderer.

AgentX: The model is 800 polys triangulated. I posted the wireframe in quads because it's cleaner. If you want to see it in triangles, just imagine diagonal lines cutting through those quads... :)

I replaced the earlier pic I had with an update, see above. And here is a rear view:

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/test_back.jpg

I'm about done, now I just need to dirty it up with rust, scratches, and mud. I might change the color of the painted writing from white to black, at least in some places. I'm almost ready to submit this, so any feedback, especially harsh criticisms will really help alot. Gracias!

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

CADster
02-27-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by sanhueza
Thanks, CADster. I fixed the transparency problem within my renderer.

thats cool, but if your problem returns when in the game, try the suggestions i mentioned.

The truck looks much better with the added details.... I would try to work on the lettering a little, maybe cover a good bit of them up with dirt, seeing how they are blurring out pretty bad on the hood (bonnet for the Brits :) ).. overall its loods very good.

MrHappyPants
02-28-2003, 05:57 AM
looks great! the canopys wrinkles add alot!

im sure the art director giving the test will be very pleased..

sanhueza
03-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I submitted this model earlier this week. Here's another angle:

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/side_render.jpg

More renders to come,

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

sanhueza
03-02-2003, 05:21 PM
And another view:

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/rear_render.jpg

sanhueza
03-03-2003, 04:25 PM
Here's the final textured version of this model:

http://www.sanhueza.com/images/truck_render.jpg

comments and critiques welcome,

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

ckaos@om
03-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Love it , just love it !
the weathering is really nice, event though i think the "roof" parts and the motor housing's top, still look a bit too clean.
i'm quite amazed at the amount of detail you managed to squeaze in !
Great job !:thumbsup:

HoodZ
03-03-2003, 07:06 PM
:applause:

Stroker
03-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Sanhueza, I officially hate you.
If there is anything I can appreciate, it's a low-poly model with texture work that makes it shine.
Top notch, dude.

lordmachuca
03-04-2003, 07:26 AM
looking real nice man.

MrHappyPants
03-04-2003, 07:30 AM
wow.. after seeing all the shots i have to say this model turned out extremely well.. I really like the added # on the canopy..

did you ever find out why the poly limit was set so low? your textures are so detailed and nice that its a shame the actual model isnt as detailed.

outstanding portfolio piece, keep it up! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sanhueza
03-04-2003, 05:31 PM
I'm glad that you guys like this, the feedback is really appreciated! I'm pretty proud of this model and hope that my texturing efforts in the future continue to meet or exceed this level. As far as the poly count being low, this model would most likely be in a RTS game, which means 800 for a vehicle is actually kind of high. I guess the 512x512 texture is representative of how powerful video cards are these days, but when having large numbers of other vehicles, soldiers, and buildings/terrain on screen all at once the poly count needs to be kept low for an optimum frame rate. Make sense?

Here is an alternate version of the truck I came up with through an hour of tweaking the texture map:

http://www.sanhueza.com/images/truck_alternative.jpg

More to come,

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

sanhueza
03-05-2003, 04:18 PM
These images show the size and angle that this model would most usually be seen at in-game.....

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/testy_small.jpg http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/testy_small_2.jpg http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/uncover_small.jpg

www.sanhueza.com

sanhueza
03-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Here's a spin around:

DivX Movie (http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/test_truck.avi)

www.sanhueza.com

ckaos@om
03-07-2003, 02:10 AM
oops wanted to post about this days ago: frankly i love the alternate version even more ! And the turnaround confirms it : the truck looks great from EVERY angle :)
But you'right , 800 is a litlle bit too much if you want tons of those on screen .. then again it would fit perfectly for some more strategic RTS, where the action is viewed more close up and there is a greater need for detail.
Congrats again on such a great model, you inspired me to go back into making ww1 models again :thumbsup:

sanhueza
03-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Here's the texture map:

http://www.sanhueza.com/posting_images/truck_texture.jpg

www.sanhueza.com

Nicool
03-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Good job!
I prefer the truck with the "roof"! Good mapping organisation!!
:beer:

sanhueza
03-11-2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks dude! Below is a description of the process I used to create this model:

WWI Supply Truck - Post Mortem

I began work on this model by examining the two reference images that were provided to me (not shown.) I then spent one and a half hours searching for additional reference photos on the internet, in order to get a better view of the truck from different angles. The modeling was completed in approximately eight hours. Unwrapping and laying out the UV map for texturing took five hours. The texture was created in a total of twenty-four hours, including three hours spent gathering photo resources from the internet and books. As there was no time limit for this exercise, I did not rush. I did, however, try to be efficient with my time while aiming for the highest quality result.
Modeling began by roughing out the shape of the truck with a series of simple boxes. In this way I was able to pin down the proper volume and proportions of the model before going into detail. Once this was accomplished, I proceded to add new geometry where it was needed to get the right shape and smoothness, considering the polygon budget. I decided early on which areas I would apply a transparency alpha channel to, minimizing the number of polys needed in these places. The wheels went through various incarnations until I felt that they were both interesting and poly-efficient. The final step in modeling was converting the mesh to triangles and optimizing down to exactly 800 polygons.
To unwrap the UV’s I used a free program called UVMapper (www.uvmapper.com) This program allows any model that has been exported to .obj format to be loaded in, making it compatible with 3D Studio Max, LightWave, Maya, and other 3D software. I layed out the UV texture map using UVMapper’s tools, then brought it back into LightWave for final editing. Unwrapping this model and laying the points out efficiently was relatively easy as this type of vehicle is very “boxy.”
The texture sheet was painted in Photoshop, starting from a base of photographic textures. I edited these photos to ensure that their color-schemes, contrasts, and lighting matched up so as to appear from one source. This I accomplished by adjusting levels and through heavy use of the rubber stamp, burn, and dodge tools. Highlights and shadows were hand-painted to correspond to the imaginary light source aimed at the model (the Sun.) Details were often painted on layers set to Overlay or Soft Light, to keep the color consistant. The next step was to create the alpha channel for the various sections that would be masked out in the render. Once the base texture was finished, a final pass of rust and dirt was created by rubberstamping rusted metal and mud photos using various brush shapes. I double-checked the textured model in 3D to make sure everything lined up correctly, then adjusted the texture in Photoshop in those places where I found mistakes.
The images I submitted were rendered at 100% luminosity (no lights) and with no anti-aliasing to simulate how they might appear within a game engine. The total time spent creating the two versions of the truck, including research, was just under forty hours.

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

Witchy
03-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the debrief! I followed this thread all the way through and I must say ou have produced a really good looking mdoel by the end of it- your texture map is excellent. Thanks for sharing this with us. Let us know what the reaction was at the games house- I think they will have been impressed.

sanhueza
03-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Witchy - Thanks, for the compliments. I wanted to push myself with this model and really try to nail down a technique/process for future models. This test got me an interview with that company yesterday, I'll see what comes of it. Regards,

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

ckaos@om
03-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Great work again and congrats for getting that interview!

hanzo
03-13-2003, 01:46 AM
Great end...:bounce:

good luck, dude...

sanhueza
03-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone. Like I said, this model got me the interview, and now it got me the job! I will now be working with Stainless Steel Studios as a 3D Artist. I'm so psyched, I'm off to go celebrate!
:buttrock: :airguitar

- Me

www.sanhueza.com

Witchy
03-20-2003, 12:16 PM
Many congratulations!

You deserve it, really nice work. I hope you can post up some of the work you do in the future. I certainly look forward to seeing it.

Best of luck to you!

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.