PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Martial Arts - taekwondo to be exact :D

YasHussain
12-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Hey Cgtalk folk,
I am currently working on some animation tests to make a new showreel and was hoping I could get some feedback on something I did yesterday.
Its a ninja (from the Kyle Figgins site) performing some taekwondo kick ass moves hehe :D
Its not finished as there is some slippage on the feet, but if there is anything else that needs work your input would be greatly appreciated :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndceYi575n8

gunslingerblack
12-12-2006, 05:10 PM
it's the shit that always looks kickass thats never real

but oh well tae kwon do is and will always be flashy...

anyways you may want to bring the camera alittle closer or playblast a slightly bigger version so we can actually see what's going on. it looks like you rotoscoped the action pretty well, now just snap up the timing and the poses. the bad thing about tae kwon do most of the time is the practitioner is so busy getting himself to the next move that when you roto someone doing it so closely the character is constantly moving and you dont really hit any of your poses.

i would say go back now and find the essence of the performance, kickass moves are nice but without any sort of backing they are just flashy movements definitely snap up the timing and poses. think "animation" arcs, timing, slow in, slow out you know the principles of animation.

YasHussain
12-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey thanks for the advice :D I've watched it over and over and I know what you mean about the snap and the poses. I will work on it and try adding more snap to the punches and kicks.
I did rotoscope it because I'm kinda a newbie to animation.
Also quick question if I may, is it better to rotoscope an animation like this or is it better to use the traditional method? And would an animator use a reference for this kind of thing?

Also I checked out your Sky Pirate and that guy is looking cool, would love to see the finished model.

Thanks again for the feedback.

gunslingerblack
12-12-2006, 07:02 PM
i would say go through your reference footage and pick out the strong poses, then go back and key your animation poses , from there use teh footage as reference only and hand key all your arcs, work out your timing and follow through etc

think "principles of animation"

thx for the crit, that model spawned a new model with a totally different style so im currently focusing on work and my personal project involving that.

keep going

skater363636
12-13-2006, 07:11 PM
hey, Looks pretty good. It was a little hard to see cause the character is a little far and it's small but what I could see looks nice. I agree about the snapping and maybe holding the poses for a split second. One thing that I noticed though is that when he's punching the hips really aren't moving all that much and he's a little stiff. Even in the most stiff styles of martial arts there is going to be hip movement. I've been doing multiply styles of martial arts most of my life so this is just something that I've noticed. If the hip movement is done right you won't notice it because it'll look really natural. I would say for something like that the best thing to do after rotoscoping it is to break it down yourself if you can and do it infront of a mirror. It's something that you can't always see but need to feel. If it's not there then it won't look right but when it is there you don't notice it and it's feels right. Thats just my thought though. Looking good

YasHussain
12-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey thanks for the tips. Your totally right about the hips. I'm gonna try and make it look more lively and cartoony, but still keep the realism. I doint know if that made any sense to you lol, but Im sure you get what I mean. I saw this short called "The Fly" and I thought it was a very nice animation, so Im trying to take that route. If you havent seen it I suggest you take a look, its pretty good :D

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/downloads/3d__and__animation/the_fly

gunslingerblack
12-13-2006, 10:36 PM
the animation in that short gets kinda sloppy towards the end but i think i understand that you want to try and mimic that style, go for it man i would say thats the best exercise at first pick one way of animation and mimic that. for most everyone it's pixar style but it's nice to be original once in a while

skater363636
12-14-2006, 08:40 AM
I know what you mean by keeping realism and yet making it look cartoony cause for animation just to make it look real you need to Exaggerate more than normal. I've been working on getting into motion capture and once I have it captured and I've been able to figure out the tech problems since it's new I have to go through and animate over the top of it to make it look better. I found that when things are exaggerated enough the motion doesn't look finished. Keep working on it and hope to see more versions!

blurgh
12-15-2006, 11:58 PM
hey guys,
gunslinger, i was wondering what do you consider the Pixar style? just good lol ?
i guess its quite traditional and not terribly snappy? I saw the fly short thought it was a nice idea or tho a few things they should of researched better ;)

Hey Yas its lookign good man. I really liked the flow youve got in it, I think the others have hit the nail on the head though
-Darken

gunslingerblack
12-16-2006, 01:09 AM
hey guys,
gunslinger, i was wondering what do you consider the Pixar style? just good lol ?
i guess its quite traditional and not terribly snappy?

pixar animators animate a very specific way, it's very good, i would say the best part of being realistic and cartoony in one. but it's much different from dreamworks animators style and disney animators style etc

whenever anyone is trying to animate thats what they draw from, animation mentor was founded by a bunch of pixar animators as well so that type of animation style is more accessible to a certain extent but you can definitely see that pixar stuff has a difinitive style.

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2006, 01:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.