PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up Those Voxels

Ozoka
12-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi... im new to the maya software, but i was playing around with the maya fluid (explosions) and when i rendered it out it looked pretty voxely...how can i clean this up...my grid size is res:50 sizexyz:20.

Ozoka
12-12-2006, 01:42 AM
after look at some other threads i guess i need to figure out how to texture it... i guess its the fluid shader, but anyway i really dont know where to start...help

phildog
12-12-2006, 02:26 AM
Hi there,
well firstly you could try to change the shading quality -> render interpolator to smooth rather than linear.

then if that doesnt work add a bit of diffuse (content details-> density-> diffusion) in your actual simulation.

essencedesign
12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Just turn on texturing and start to play with some of the Attr's....there is really no easy way to learn fluids unfortunatly, rather it's better to make changes in your shading and texturing tab's do a test render, make more changes, test again, ect ,ect. This would be my advice, once you know what your working with you'll know what to change to accomidate your needs. First thing switch over to Mental Ray for your test renders if you haven't already, shading settings of -3 min and -1 max will cut your render itmes to almost 1/8th of a software render. Try to use grid texturing if you can , the texture will be pushed around through the velocity grid which works well for explosions and fire. But if your sim is too long it will streak out. Turn up the frequency of your texture , play with the Amplitude, ratio and Freq Ratio, all so turn up Depth max to at least 4. Be patient and be prepared to put some time in to learn all the functions there are a few key Attr's that you will use more than others.
Cheers
Jer

Ozoka
12-12-2006, 11:07 PM
The thing is I can get the simualtion to work just fine, that whole part makes so much sense since I am new to maya its the whole node thing (used to use lightwave) I just need to have a little more direction... isnt there any tutorial on texturing. In lightwave they had procedural textures that would effect it and i am assuming you cando they same.....sorry im so slow hehe help

kuraudo
12-13-2006, 03:21 AM
yea...how r u supposed to do that...im new to it too... i used to use lightwave

essencedesign
12-13-2006, 03:51 AM
OK guys, I understand, I used to use lightwave as well, ......I'll break it down to you like this, ...the minute I stopped trying to make Maya act like Lightwave, was the time I made a bit of a breakthrough with Maya. It's a totaly different way of creating 3D, but at the same time it's not,...if that makes any sense ?.......I will help any way I can .... :)

kuraudo
12-13-2006, 04:35 AM
when you say texture does that mean to add place3dtextures on to the shading atti on the fluid or does that mean something different... i want to achieve somethng like this(pic). Like i said i can get the fluid to act like that (a temp and fuel based) but this texturing part eeeeeee.

Ozoka
12-13-2006, 04:37 AM
yea just like that.. i want it to look like that...Ive seen the gnomon fluid traning but they really dont tap into that.

Ozoka
12-13-2006, 04:37 AM
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/dsc03.html

this gnomon tells you how to do the sim but not really texture it.
also when he messes around with his textures the fluid display changes but mine doesnt.

mboden
12-15-2006, 02:21 AM
First off since your new to Maya fluid, texture and shading your sim doesn't make for a better sim. It can make a great sim actually look worst. Remember that fluid is animation and your are the animator. get refence of how you want your fluid to look like and copy it till it soo close you can't realize that it's a CG Sim, second crank the RES up and your get more detail, turn on high detail solve. Then if it still doesn't look like the refrence then turn on Texturing. Once you get that far and you still think you need textures. I tell you how to texture.

Ozoka
12-17-2006, 09:04 PM
is there a simple shading and texturing tutorial that can get you started?

Aikiman
12-17-2006, 11:47 PM
is there a simple shading and texturing tutorial that can get you started?

I dont know but take a look at the samples in visor. There are a couple of explosions in there, one being a nuclear explosion, which should kick you off in the right direction concerning texturing.

Ozoka
12-18-2006, 01:47 AM
thats the thing I have and for some reason i cant even get a buff of smoke to even be close to that. All 3d apps are the same but different placement and language. So maya is new to me i just have to figure out the lango. But like I said I took those examples apart and I still cant get any results. Maybe im cursed :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2006, 01:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.