PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Keeper, Alexander Hupperich (3D), (3D)

elhuppi
02-14-2003, 09:01 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/10840/dragon_keeper_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/10840/dragon_keeper.jpg)

Title: Dragon Keeper, Alexander Hupperich (3D)
Name:
Software: After Effects, Deep Paint, Maya, Photoshop

Dragon and Bg rendered with Maya (default renderer) and I did some Photoshop work to it. A little fake, I know :-)
enjoy!

XerC
02-14-2003, 10:29 PM
Hi! :wavey:
The Dragon looks great! Very well done! :thumbsup: I have nothing to crit about model or texture! :buttrock:
What bothers me is the scene itself. It's rather difficult to get into the dimensions, I think. The dragon himself looks huge, but the sword an the skelleton indicate his shoulders are just something about 2 metres above the ground.
The gold is irritating, too. Are those spots under the dragon's feet single coins? Look strange to me. The Gold on the left in the background looks good, but on the right it seems to be more liquid than solid :shrug:
So over all a very well done model with great textures and fitting lightning, but in a scene that could need some more work.

Greetings from Berlin to Berlin (where exactly do you live? Maybe we are neighbors :D)

XerC

Whyyyd
02-14-2003, 11:21 PM
The dragon looks really nice. Other then that, XerC said it all. :)

Ben Shore
02-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Really good! Great use of texture!

I agree with the first post that the demensions are lost a little. For me though the only real place this becomes a problem is the face, which is almost indestinguishable (color wise) from the leg behind it... Throw in some difference in lighting to seperate those parts of his body and I think things would be a lot easier visually.
Cheers :beer:

Sublime
02-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Great model, and textures! The silohuette could use a bit of tweaking though. The dragons head kinda dissapears into his knee, and his arms dissapear into his body too, pull them out a bit so we can see that skull he's holding in his hand.

Great work though! Keep it up.

Eman597
02-15-2003, 12:55 AM
nice gold!!! i really like those gold coins, superb job :eek:

Maximillion
02-15-2003, 12:56 AM
Looks amazing Hugh!:thumbsup:

The head is cool, but I can't really see it. There is in fact a confusing layering of the leg/arm/head right now that takes away from what could be a great pose. A rimlight would help punch them out, but so would getting a more clear sillouette with the dragon. (ie. move the arm out to it's right and maybe shifting the weight over it's right foot a little more.)

Something else to consider is that you lose a sense of "skin over bone/muscle" in the wings. The shape looks a bit ambiguous, as does the end of the tail.

All in all it's a cool render, so keep up the good work!

ToastMan
02-15-2003, 08:59 AM
Hmm.. reminds me the cover of: "The Hobbit". If anyone seen it, it shows Smoug lying in a big pile of gold.

Great modeling and texturing man! How did you do those piles of coins?! great job man! :thumbsup:

Michael Chen
02-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Cool, looks pretty real :)

I guess you won the competition :D

phoenix2k
02-15-2003, 10:19 AM
hey, that look impressive!!! i have to agree with XerC about the coins in the front though, they look kind of liquidish ... other than that... great scene!!!!

elhuppi
02-15-2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks a lot to you guys.

As usual one doesnīt see the problems of a pic that another person could see. I always struggled with the coins in the forground, but in matters of the size of the coins. I never recognized the problem with the head and the leg.
Since I did this scene within a day,(the dragon was already done!) I knew there were plenty of things that could be done better. :blush:
Although I posted this pic in the finished Work Gallery, I`ll correct that head-leg-problem. By the way, this scene was done nearly a year ago.

Thanks again for all the comments and crits.

aenema
02-16-2003, 12:03 AM
i love your work, and Dragons was absolutely awesome :thumbsup: ive checked out your site, and you have worked on/working on all sorts of awesome projects :) it seems to me some of the best stuff comes out of GFS

Indavisual
02-16-2003, 01:04 AM
try to get a clear silhouette for your pose to improve it. This way its easier to distinguish all its parts. Also the scale/size of the dragon should be fixed. And lastly the gold looks melted in the areas where there are supposed to be single coins.

Other than that its a great looking image.:applause:

piajartist
02-16-2003, 11:19 PM
Love the light from the mouth

Jeebus
02-17-2003, 01:48 AM
Click.. That's going on my desktop.

lildragon
02-17-2003, 11:51 AM
very very nice man, as you can tell I'm a dragon luvr so I always love seeing Dragons on the talk, and you haven't let me down here. Do you have any higher res pics? By higher res I mean sharper. This one is suffering from .jpg compression. Send me a higher one tito@cgnetworks. I smell gallery material :) [plugged]

salud

Nikodemus
02-17-2003, 12:16 PM
:applause:
sweeeet

Ryder
02-17-2003, 12:27 PM
first i didīnt see the face... it is difficult to se it because of the smal contrast of light and textures.. maby you could render it in a diffrent pose..

cheers! :buttrock:

Guirnaldo
02-17-2003, 01:10 PM
wow dude, this is awsome, really like the texturing on that one, nice nice nice :wip:
at first I though: naajust another wanna be, but then I had a look at your porject site, djees man, this desktop you just placed here is just nothing compared with what you have done more!! I love your sense for realism

http://www.huppi.de/images/Dragons/Szene_6.jpg and more!
http://www.huppi.de/images/Dragons/Szene_1.jpg or just go to his website people!

:eek:
I think that you are one of those people we should hail and feel blessed to have you in our company, like the most of the people around here!!
nice nice, but indeed the glow on the desktop you posted is so fake, tssssk :wip: !!

Maximus Groff
02-17-2003, 02:04 PM
please give us a wire... plz plz plz plz! ;)

future14
02-17-2003, 03:46 PM
awesome work man.............well done!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

That Adrian Guy
02-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Beautfully rendered! I hope this still has the potential for animation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-17-2003, 06:05 PM
It looks great, :bounce:

d4rk
02-17-2003, 06:10 PM
that's a cool dragon! I think the textures are awesome! I'd sure like to see more of it though, more pics! Awesome work though! :applause:

JB
02-17-2003, 06:56 PM
That is beautiful, How did you do the coins? please tell :bounce:

:buttrock: :buttrock:

Nima-3dman
02-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Really Great texturing...I would like to know about the coints, too

TheWraith
02-17-2003, 07:42 PM
it looks a little flat around the feet and tail. i'm not sure if it's from compositing or just the light set up. definitely need mroe lights to add some depth to the creature. with the exception of the kick ass head and neck, it looks sorta painted and flat. other than that though, amazing work :)

OZ
02-17-2003, 07:46 PM
JUST AMAZING!

elhuppi
02-17-2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all the great comments.

@Max_Power: The coins are mostly texture on some NURBS-hills but to get some detail in the foreground and highlights I did a bit of paint-over-work in Photoshop.

@That Adrian Guy: Infact we recently did a short animation called "dragons" and this is one of the dragons of this short. I made this still a year ago, before Leif Arne Petersen and me started working on the short. you could download the movie from my homepage(just click on the link below this message).

@d4rk: you could find some more pics of the dragon
here (http://www.hugh-p-rich.com/projects1.html)
But they are all taken from the "dragons" short which are mostly wide shots.

SEPHROTH64
02-17-2003, 09:01 PM
reminds me of smog, from The Hobbit

cheers! good job

puu
02-17-2003, 09:09 PM
i think you mean Smaug, from the Hobbit :D

Nice work bro, looks like one of those awesome AD&D hardback book covers, TSR used to have a seriously good artist for this stuff. Ive been working on a dragon too...back to the drawing board!:)

kukukiki74
02-17-2003, 11:09 PM
Holy mother! That is awesome!!!!!

d4rk
02-18-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by kukukiki74
Holy mother! That is awesome!!!!!

it sure is, can we see more of it?

platypus
02-18-2003, 01:28 AM
fantastic! looks like an oil painting.

BiTMAP
02-18-2003, 06:50 AM
coins and gold looks good, cuase in a large amount like that it would almost apear liquid, but some parts of it seem like there just giant coins almost, cause of how they are stacked, so work on that maybe? and yeah the dragon is pretty hard to distinguash, the cave is very bright in the middle, where in my head i'm seeing smuag in the middle with tourches around the cave lighting him up...

ZVAN
02-18-2003, 09:41 AM
The hEaD a lil like ReiGn OF FIre draGon, BuT anYWaY! it's veRY niCe! i likE it Very MuCH, WaNNA huG it AnD sLeEP! >)

lildragon
02-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Well going from my first post all I can say again is excellent work, I love the essence you captured in the image. After reviewing the higher res pic I just have to award you for such an excellent piece. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

btw its now on my desktop at work ;)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Keep it up!.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_feb03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

elhuppi
02-18-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks Lildragon

This award means a lot to me. Iīm very happy to be part of the excellent gallery of cgnetworks. That gives some new motivation to me. :bounce:

Nima-3dman
02-18-2003, 09:31 PM
of course,really excellent :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

Monkeyfarm
02-21-2003, 09:43 PM
I like how you've designed the Dragon. The idea that it has seperate arms from the wings. Most dragon designs have that arm/wing combo thing going.

I'd agree on the comments about the scale BTW, but as you put the skull in its hand it's obvious you knew the scale and this was what you wanted so who am I to say anything... Even though I just did... :)

Nice work.

psycho1
11-29-2004, 08:35 PM
great work man i love everything of it. just great.
keep up the good job

ROCK ON:twisted: :buttrock:

Concept-Mutt
12-03-2004, 09:11 PM
what are small coins seem to mold together to create larger ones. nice tones and lighting

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.