PDA

View Full Version : Can motion builder do this?

Yagimoth
12-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Hey guys,
I've got a quick question. I was watching the Lord of the rings: Return of the King behind the scenes creation of their models I noticed something. On their more complex creatures, they have the skeleton of the creature modeled along with muscles. Then subsiquently attached that model to their skinned and textured model. My question is, can Motion Builder do that? Is that an unnecessary step, or does that give the model a life like quality?

Thanks,
Yagimoth

Yagimoth
12-12-2006, 05:15 AM
So, nobody knows then?

alec.tron
12-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Nope, its nothing Motionbuilder can do out of the box....
What you ve seen sounds a lot like a muscle system, but I ve never seen any for MB. You shure it was inside of MB ?
Cos I ld bet that it s some Weta inhouse muscle system...
But to get an idea how it works you might want to look at Comet s Muscle System or MuscleTK or any of the other existing ones to get an idea how they work....
c.

ninth_level_dan
12-14-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm not a MB power user, but I don't believe it has anything for any kind of muscle deformation; it's just for animating bones... Once those bones come back into Maya (or wherever they came from), those bones are then supposed to drive the deformations on top of them. While animating in MB seems possible, the issue of getting the data to come back into May and not cause problems with the deformations is where I'm having the biggest problems. It almost seem slike MB is perfect for games (which have little to no lifelike deofrmation) or for blocking out animation quickly on a simple rig. We haven't had much luck using it for complex character animation

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2006, 03:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.