PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop CS not showing all my fonts.

chalkman
12-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Photoshop is not showing all my fonts ... only about 20% are showing up, granted I have about 1400 fonts. I can't seem to find anything in preferences that would enable me to change the amount to be shown. :hmm:

I am on a Mac 1.8 gh processor with 2 gigs of ram.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Whipyo
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Whoa man, 1400 fonts!

That is a lot and probably apart from increasing ram there is not a lot you can do except manage the amount you have turned on at any one given time.

I've heard of heaps of cases where too many fonts loaded causes photoshop to really bog down and perform sluggish. Also when you start up, photoshop has to read (or at least scan) all those fonts which takes a fair bit of time. You will have long startups even if you increase ram.

Could you perhaps turn some of the fonts off in fontbook or look at 3rd party font management software like Suitcase? Suitcase makes it easy, you can just group your fonts into sets you like and turn the fonts on and off system wide at will.

You can check how much ram photoshop is using (If you don't already know you can use activity monitor in your utilities folder to check this). It would be intersesting to know the ram usage difference if you reduced your fonts and also photoshop's startup time.

Good luck...let us know how you go or what you end up doing.

chalkman
12-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response. Photoshop seems not to bog down at all. Actually CS2 has no problem displaying all the fonts and also shows a representation of each. I still use both versions.

When using CS I guess I will just disable some of the font collections as you reccomend.

Thanks and have a great Holiday Season! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

David

chalkman
12-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi Mark,

Just looked at your portfolio, loved the Racing Zebra! See my attached Tattoed Horse.

All the best,

David

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2006, 03:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.