PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 3: Discworld Gremlin

Bonsai
02-14-2003, 04:37 PM
Here we go. Having hope that i will find the time to really finish this thing, i´ll enter this Comp ...

First i was thinking about creating a character for the Warcraft Universe, because i really love the design of the different races, especially in WC 3.
But when lying in bed and reading one of Terry Pratchett´s Discworld novels, it came to my mind that i´ve always been a big, big fan of those little badmooded and always smoking gremlins, sittign in the iconographs and painting what they see ( i hope you know what i am talking about, since i just know the german books and have absolutely no idea what they´re called in english, the discworld equivilent of a camera )

So that would be my entry ... :)

Here´s a little concept sketch i quickly made:

http://www.shoosh.de/bonsai/Gremlin.jpg

Krystman
02-14-2003, 06:37 PM
A Book?! Wow, didn't think of that. Can you maybe quote a description of theese guys from the book? A sketch you made is not exactly the original Reference, it's already an interpretation -_^

MrHappyPants
02-14-2003, 06:45 PM
haha, that sketch has alot of character.. and its cool that you chose a book. I didnt even think about that... but games are based off books and its a necessary skill to design from a text description, COOL BEANS! oh and like bonsai id really like to read a description of these characters from the book.

draconix
02-14-2003, 07:19 PM
The Discworld seroes! I loved those. This should be interesting, seeing the gremlins come to life.

wanzai
02-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Krystman
A Book?! Wow, didn't think of that.
Sounds like you... :p

Cool stuff Bonsai. You do motivate me a lot. Gotta think of something...

three
02-15-2003, 04:10 AM
Cool looking drawing.
I really love the Discworld series.
This will be really cool, hope to see some update soon.

And by the way, they're Imps, not Gremlins :)

Bonsai
02-15-2003, 12:10 PM
I´ll try to get a description of those Imps ( Thanks 3 :) ). The prob is that i dont have the english books ... But i´ll try ...

undoz
02-15-2003, 04:24 PM
A game was released too
http://www.co.uk.lspace.org/games/discworld/dw2shots.html

three
02-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Bonsai, I hope that you don't mind if I answered this one, about the imps. I've got the english books and so on, and besides, I had nothing to do :roll:

What I can remember there aren't any real discription of the imps. You can think of them as grumpy old red men (really really tiny, there are even microimps), and they got used instead of clockwork for clocks (duh) or put inside a box to paint pictures really really quick. They're good at that because they haven't got the faintest little imagination at all, so the camera never lies.

But a general description of them can't be found not for citation. For the Swamp Dragons there is though. :D

Rock on! And give us some updates!

Bonsai
02-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Here we go with the first Wireframe. Weights in roughly at about 2200 Tris. Lots of room for improvment though. Has definetly to be optimized ... alot ... plus i´m not satisfied with the proportions yet ... Well anyway, aint this a WIP ? :)

http://www.shoosh.de/bonsai/imp1.jpg

ckaos@om
02-18-2003, 03:23 PM
:thumbsup: Looks great and very true to the concept.
Love his face and ears!
Only crit i have is about the area where the foot meets the leg.

MrHappyPants
02-18-2003, 05:19 PM
looks cool so far! but i have to agree about the proportions... something feels off and he doesnt feel tiny and impish. could help when the textures are finally on for that though. I think its partly do to the length of his arms? the elbow normally reaches the bottom of the rib cage if the arms are at ones side. the wrist would reach the top of the femur, ends of fingers in middle of upper leg... also arms are usually the same width as the character is tall. i cant tell from the perspective shot youve posted but he looks like hes got monkey arms. i bet if you give him short little functional arms he would look more tiny. of course that may be the look your going for so never mind then! nice so far!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.