PDA

View Full Version : City Generator....best reasults???

jm_0812
02-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Hello everybody,

I just started to play with the city gen. , a part of that new plug pack.......for being as basic as it is, it's the kitten's meow.....a huge time saver........

so is anyone else enjoying this new plug????

If so, what siz grid are you using to get the most realistic results......and what is the most amount of buildings that you create before it starts to slow down.

p.s. I finally got my worldwide lightwave training tour.....and the wait wass well worth the trouble.....cudos to Spline God

Thanks everybody,
Jason:applause:

Infinity3d4life
02-14-2003, 05:13 PM
i would like to see some of your results.. I'm thinking about purchasing this plugpak, but i wanna know just what it can do and how easy it is to use first...

jm_0812
02-14-2003, 05:17 PM
I am school now, so I would have to wait.....I also need to texture and render a scene....just an object now...

p.s. you can try it our for free....the demo version, I belileve is full functional....the only thing is that every time you run tvhe script, there is a popup, that makes you pick a number....then it has a random wait time per the number you pick......it's very annoying.....but at least you get to check it out......

Halsu
02-14-2003, 09:57 PM
It's SUPPOSED to be annoying - if it wasn't, why would anyone register??

;-)

As said, all the Plugpak (Layout) and ModPak (Modeler) scripts are fully functional even as unregistered.

As far as the scale of the base polygons for Citygen is concerned, i suggest doing stuff in real world scale.

Usually, it's better to have too many points per polygon than too few: the optinmizing routine will then merge these to given intervalls for more or less realistic window spacing - you can even do the floor plan with sketch tool, freeze it and let CityGen align your rough sketch to more realistic building...

Halsu
02-14-2003, 10:02 PM
Oh, for people that don't know yet, here's what we're talkin' about (ModPak)

http://www.kolumbus.fi/erkki.halkka/plugpak/

BTW, there's a Beta 2 release available at

http://www.akmp-program.fi/Eki/Temp/ModPak_BETA_V2_install.lsc

NOTE! If CityGen feels slow, disable "Per polygon window surfaces" in the options panel.

jm_0812
02-14-2003, 10:31 PM
I love it so far......still not renderable, but...it's getting there.....

you know what...it is annoying, and that was the point......and to get to be not so annoying, Iguess, when I can muster up some cash, I'll be ordering it.........

Kudos to the developer...

Halsu
02-14-2003, 10:41 PM
Kudos to the developer...

Thanks!

jm_0812
02-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Halsu
Thanks!

So your the man...huh.....well I guess thats pretty ironic....well kudos to you....keep up the good work....

any new projects on your hands???

Infinity3d4life
02-15-2003, 12:07 AM
I will be ordering this very soon.. I have looked at alot of your stuff, but just never got around to trying out any of them... The pak looks sweet and i can't wait til i get to use them.:bounce:

wgreenlee1
02-15-2003, 12:15 AM
I want to see that tree "thingy-ma-bob"....

That looks cool.:wip:

Halsu
02-15-2003, 10:19 AM
The tree thingymabob is included in the beta 2 i linked to in the earlier post.

Talking about other projects... pluginwise, i have my hands full with ModPak right now. When it's done, i still need to come up with decent documentation.

After that... sure, i will probably try to come up with some new fun stuff ,-9

I'm not writing plugins as a full time job (i couldn't affor to eat if i was ;-)

I make my living doing 3D and compositing, as well as photography and editing at

http://www.akmp-program.fi/

In that respect, i have new projects each week...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.