PDA

View Full Version : Baking keys to a golden brown: how and why?

HippifiedDWH
12-11-2006, 05:06 AM
Okay, I've been knocking out my walk cycle and trying to figure out clips and the Trax editor for the last few days, and while my big fat book of everything Maya says that I need to bake my keys, I have no idea what that means, or why it's relevant. I mean, for all I know, it's like baking a pie. Like a key lime pie, except a key frame pie. So I would love to understand what that does, why it's important, and how it works. Even if I can figure out how the heck it works on my own, I'd still like to understand at least some of the mechanics. And if not, maybe understanding the mechanics will help me figure out how to use it properly.

Thanks much!

SirRon
12-12-2006, 10:35 PM
What baking the keys does is set a key for each frame. The reason why you would want to do that is that it takes out the interpolation between keys. From what I understand is that when you export the animation to other programs they might not understand Maya's interpolation, but if you have the keys baked it tells other programs exactly what the object/joint is translating/rotating/scaling/etc. to. That's what I think.

alec.tron
12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Helloo..
thanks for the text, made me chuckle & now I want some pie....
anyhoo....
Apart from the export issue for other programs & engines SirRon mentions it s also used to break down certain dependencies or behaviours (meaning cases where one object controlls another one for one or more attributes, which can be constraints, expressions, ik systems and many more...) you created and which you want to set in stone i.e. bake onto the object.
Hope that helps...
c.

CGTalk Moderation
12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.