PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Forest (Newbie Pic)

skaret
12-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Ok, im pritty new to Matte painting, but anyway here's my second pic i've made so any comment is very welcome!

Datameister
12-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Not bad, but there are some issues to work out.

* Don't use soft brushes! They do have their uses...occasionally. But most of the time, you're far better off with brushes that have sharp edges. Most artists will agree with me on this.
* Don't rely on cloning textures in order to build up leaves and foliage. That's a quick way of working, but you get what you pay for, so to speak--i.e. the results look cloned and fake. Try to actually do the painting yourself and/or use photos.
* For matte paintings you'll generally want to work with an image that's wider than it is tall.
Square images tend to be rather unappealing.
* The moon is too big and not bright enough. Also, it wouldn't cast nearly that much light onto the grass, especially with it that low in the sky.

My suggestion to you: for now, don't use ANY photos whatsoever. Just paint from scratch in Photoshop or whatever program you like, using photos for reference--but don't use them directly in the painting. Once you can paint results that you're satisfied with, it'll be much easier to incorporate photos into your matte work.

Keep up the good work! I may post a quick paintover later, if I have time.

skaret
12-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks alot for the reply! i'll keep that in mind for my next pic! tnx =)

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2006, 04:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.