PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Turning Script into Movie

Einar
12-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I've recorded a script of a simple painting that I want to turn into a quicktime movie. I've then run the script, saving the frames into a framestack. It seems to record everything all fine.

The finshed painting (and the last frame of the script) looks like the left image below.

When I go back to frame one and try to playback the movie, the first frame turns into the right image for some reason, when it should be a blank canvas, and actions that make no sense start recording on top of it. I've tried several times with a few different paintings and it happens like this pretty much every time.

The image is 3200px by 1800px @ 300 dpi.

Any thoughts?

I'm running Mac OS 10.4.8 and Painter IX.5.

Thanks!

DigArts
12-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately, this feature has never lived up to it's promise IMO.

Hard to say what's wrong. Does the script playback correctly absent making it into a movie? My guess is that image size is related to the problem. You're asking Painter and your system to crunch huge numbers. Why record it so big if it's a movie?

Painter lets you record small and playback big. That's one cool part of the playback feature in scripting. I'm not sure it works with movie playback, but you might test. You simply record the session small and playback big using two or three simple steps.

Dennis @ DigArts
http://www.gardenhose.com
Nature Paints for Painter, PSP and Photoshop

kookookrayzy
12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I feel your pain - the scripting feature is one thing that makes Painter standout from Photoshop, and I've been trying to leverage its power. My current dream is to create painter scripts to mimic all of my favorite photoshop "actions", but they handle layers differently so it's tricky.

Not sure if this helps, but I've noticed scripts get confusing when you use wet media, as the image stays on the canvas while the script is replayed, unless you dry the media. I'm not sure what tool you're painting with in this image, though. Good luck!
-kook

Einar
12-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the input, guys!

Size may be an issue, but I find the whole thing a bit useless if I can't record at print resolution. My thought was to do movies not just for demo, but from actual projects that I'm working on.

Still, I may have found a way around it by recording it in parts and then editing the parts together with another application. A lot more work, but still doable.

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2006, 05:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.