PDA

View Full Version : Sad Robot Character Animation

Banks
12-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Greetings fellow artists,

I'm working on revamping my animation reel and adding some new animation to it. This is a piece I just started this morning and worked on throughout the day. Right now I just have him walking along, somewhat pathetically, but I'm wanting to add him having a startled look at something following him, have him run off and take a flying leap, using his jet pack to fly off. As always, C&C's are welcome.

http://jps3d.com/Movies/Robot_walk.mov 2Mb

And just out of curiousity, I'm wondering what color background appears inside everyones loaded quicktime web page. I'd like to have a mid grey background and thats how it appears in my Firefox page, but I'm not sure if this is standard across the board or if I have to program it somewhere in Dreamweaver. Please let me know. Thanks again.

-Banks

Amit_S
12-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Hello banks

1st of all about Quicktime- its grey in my window too.

About ur Robot: I like the sad expression. But his torso....I dont know -its like its hardly moving. Cause of the lack of torso movement it feels like its just moving in space. Like his legs are on a treadmill sort of.
(mind u- i'm a newbie at animation)

Banks
12-13-2006, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the advice, Amit_S.

I've made a few corrections to my animation, so let me know what you all think. Thanks again.

http://jps3d.com/Movies/Robot_walk2.mov

Amit_S
12-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Hello Banks!
Sorry boss- no critiques . I cant download anything right now. I'll have to wait to do it till tomorrow evening.
Just 1 thing- I would love to help you out giving u critiques and all.... but mind u- I'm a newbie and as far as my own work is concerned - it sucks:sad:
It doesnt suck cause I dont know what to do...anyone can see the diferrence b/w a good v/s bad animation. I just dont know how to.

Check out my thread. There are some guys giving me really cool advice. You'll learn a lot from my mistakes and their critiques. Esp. check out the cycle from weakchild.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=438683

You might also want to check out some other threads which are really helping me with my walk cycle:

* walk cycle need a crit plz! from Darken-R
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=437662

*walk cycle from tanghuiyung
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=420700

There are also a few others......

UKeTommyV
12-13-2006, 07:45 PM
hey banks .

i have watched your animation . and i think the best advice is to look at some reference . i see that the hips dont move side by side . or a little up and down either . the whole animation seems slow. if you are under ik , switch to fk . and offset the curves like for instance the arms . have the top first then the elbow then the hand. so like i said look at some reference , even film yourself.

k hope it helps.

Amit_S
12-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey!

*Weight:I still dont feel any weight in him. Perhaps more up and down?
In the Survival Kit, Williams says this:"Its the up and down of your masses that gives u the feeling of weight.... "
I think I do see a subtle up and down- but maybe its too subtle- almost as if its not there.
*upper body: the chest part is moving but his abs/ lower back area is stiff. Move it- bend it forward/ backward. Rock that area as he moves. Dont ask me how cause thats something even I'm struggling with.

*Rotation of the hips and shoulders on Y-axis: Assuming Y-axis points to the sky, rotate his hips with his legs. U seem to have already done this but the rotation seems too small. I feel if he rotates his hips just a bit more it'll look better.
Also when u roate the hips , rotate the shoulders in the opposite side.
*front leg- theres no heel raise. Now that might be cause hes sad though...so I'm not too sure of this.

Just try the above things. U might also want to exaggerate everything u've done right now. 1 thing I do like about him is his expression. luv it!

Banks
12-20-2006, 04:05 AM
Alright everyone. I'm back with a new update. Thanks to you both for your helpful advice. I tried to take into consideration your suggestions while making a few tweaks of my own. I havent sped the entire animation up at all. Do you all think it still needs it with these new corrections? Thanks again for the fresh set of eyes on my work. C&C always welcome.

http://jps3d.com/Movies/Robot_walk3.mov

agreenster
12-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Hey man, you're getting there....

But go nuts on this next version--REALLY get those hips moving up and down (and the whole torso), and get the shoulders involved too. You're being way too subtle and careful. Get messy and let yourself go crazy for 30 minutes, pushing it, going over the top of what your gut is telling you, and then see where you are. You may have to dial it back, but you also just might like it. You dont know how much is too much until you go WAY too much, you know? But you'll never know if you keep doing micro-adjustments. Dont forget, theres a revert feature if you ever screw it up too much...

But right now its still too stationary and subtle. Get them hips moving up and down and rotating more.

Also, watch the overlap on the screen left wrist--it's opposite of what it should be. Remember, down the chain follows top of the chain

Also, the feet/legs are totally mirroring. Offset them a bit and get a few more in-betweens in there to make it more natural. Its very computery right now.

Keep swingin bro, you'll get it

LEGC
12-21-2006, 04:39 AM
I want to add that you need to exaggerate more the animation. To me it looks more tire than sad. Also anticipate the movement of the hand going to the head. I mean move the head back and then forward to encounter the hand. Refine the curve of the hand when it is going to the head.

Other than that great progress and work.
Hope to see more.

danstar10
12-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I think what is missing is that the root joint (the hips) need to translate in the X-axis (horizontally) alot more (if they are atall currently) so when his left foot is in the air he needs to lean to the left as he has no leg to support him for a short period of time and vica versa with the right leg.

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2006, 11:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.