PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with jittery hand while drawing on tablet?

batavia
12-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Sorry, I'm a complete newbie at using the tablet here. Yesterday at my school I found out I could borrow one in the computer lab, and I had fun with it, to say the least.
The hardest thing is how the surface is unlike that of a paper. With paper, even if your hand is jittery, because of the high friction and pressure you put on the pen, a drawn line will be smooth. But with the wacom tablet, the surface is more slippery, and if I put pressure to steady my hand, the line drawn will be too heavy; plus, the extra pressure that I put to steady the hand feels unnatural, thus the drawing is less accurate.

So how do I make things feel more natural?
(I'm sorry if this is an easy question. I had to leave quickly yesterday, so I didn't get to look around for the options)

MisterStash
12-10-2006, 01:06 AM
How about taping some paper on top of the tablet?

batavia
12-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Good idea O_O

But, is there an option anyway that deals with that sensitivity? The paper method sounds like an ideal one, but I'm just curious about my question.

MisterStash
12-10-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm not sure I understand your question... do you mean something that will smooth out your lines?

Datameister
12-10-2006, 06:48 AM
This is definitely a problem in Photoshop. Painter has damping options that smooth out the strokes a little; for this reason, I'd heavily recommend using Painter for linework, rather than Photoshop. However, when individual brush strokes aren't going to be too visible, Photoshop does a great job. It's just not the most accurate software for drawing.

One thing you can do in Photoshop is put all linework on a separate layer. You can use the eraser tool to clean up the lines without damaging any coloring, etc. that you've done. Try to use swift, fluid motions with your whole arm--fast strokes turn out much, much smoother than slow ones. Don't be afraid to follow through with the line and then erase the excess.

BlueFlare
12-11-2006, 01:56 AM
Are you using a Graphire? It doesn't have the best surface from what I've read.
Have you tried using a different nib?

Matt
12-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Use a low opacity or flow, and go over your linework several times.

reynold
12-22-2006, 08:23 PM
There's a few way:
1. Use wacom intuos-they have good paper feel like
2. use paper as suggested above
3. use little bit glaussian blur

gorosh
12-31-2006, 02:03 PM
I have Intuos 3, and I taped paper (Bristol) on it, it's much better now, not slippery at all, plus my Wacom surface is perserved. You'll gain precision and control with paper taped over tablet.

Another good tip I can give you: draw at larger than 100% magnification - 200%, 300% or even 400%, depending on the detail you're working on. Open additional view for you document, set it at 25% or 50% magnification (if you have dual display setup, which you should have for working with graphic applications btw, put that document view on second display), and zoom to at least 200% on your first document view and work from there. You'll have much more control and precision with tablet that way.

Also, you could take a look at Manga Studio 3.0 EX. It's great application for black and white lineart (although you can use color too, but with rather limited options). Don't let it's name fool you, it's NOT just for manga illustration, you can use it for any style you wish. It also has "damping" option like in Painter (it's called "Correction"). It also has various tools to smooth lines, change line widhts etc. Brushes have great fill to them, you can get really precise lines. Manga Studio is great application, it has some other very cool options (various screen tone options etc.). Unfotunately it's not Universal Binary yet, but I tried it on Mac OS X, and performances is fine, not much different than performance on Windows.

BlueFlare
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Use wacom intuos-they have good paper feel like

Which Wacom do you have, because the surface of the Intuos 3 that I use most definitely doesn't have a paper feel to it.

Datameister
12-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Which Wacom do you have, because the surface of the Intuos 3 that I use most definitely doesn't have a paper feel to it.

No, definitely not. Quite smooth, which isn't ideal.

And reynold, Guassian Blur isn't generally a good fix for "jagged" lineart. That'll just make the edges of the lines appear smudged, which is NOT the goal.

Julez4001
01-02-2007, 04:14 PM
This is a great thread. The solutions (beside gaussian blur) are well founded.
Its something I should asked for long aago.

CGTalk Moderation
01-02-2007, 04:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.