View Full Version : WIP: Hsien-Ko (Lei Lei)
12-09-2006, 04:51 PM
I normally make game environment art but this time I decided to give character modeling a shot. This was also posted in the WIP 3D stills because I plan to do a more "high-res" version with added details, but I don't know if this type of cross-posting is allowed.
Hsien-Ko is one of the characters from Capcom's Darkstalkers series. I decided to follow the Joan of Arc tutorial to start off and then continue on my own from there. This one was started almost a week ago.
Here are some reference pics I used.
And pics of the model and wires
Maybe I can exaggerate the style a bit, but I still have lots of modeling to do. It's 4734 triangles right now, and I still need to add a few more acessories, wrinkles, and the hands of course.
I'm still kind of new with this type of modeling but I think it's coming along nicely. Anything I have to pay attention to? What about faces in the same object that intersect each other? That's happening a bit in the legs.
12-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Dark Stalkers, awesome.
The model has some antaomy issues and really shows with the side view. The butt sticks out too much, push the entire buttock with the leg and feet up a bit. Her breasts needs to be downsized, it looks very unrealistic, even if your trying to go for a cartoony feel. Her heel needs to be built up, get some of those verticies at the heel and push it back some. Her biceps are a bit too big, thin it down.
There's a lot of stuff on the body mesh that I feel don't need to be there. The wrinkles in the pants at the knees and groin might cause you some headace with rigging. You might be able to achieve the look with some texture. The shirt's creases, where it ends at the neck, arm and hip can be done with texture and can save some polies.
A good thing to do if you want to charater model is look at some other people's good models and study the mesh. It helps you get your polies to flow with the body and keeps you from using uncessary polies, most of the time anyways.
Hope that helps.
12-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Thanks for replying, yoyomon. Yeah, I def. agree with you about the proportions being off. As soon as the whole body was done, the torso didn't look right for some reason and it's probably too long as well. Fixing this along with the breasts will likely make my model closer to the source. Heh, the buttocks are too large you say. I think that was a side effect of the Joan of Arc Tutorial :P I'll fix that also.
The reason I started modeling in the wrinkles is because I thought the legs needed something more in the silhouette. It seemed too plain when they were just smooth. Also my PC can't do normal maps so making the wrinkles that way isn't an option right now. However I did find a nice wrinkle painting tutorial so I will follow that.
12-16-2006, 08:52 PM
I fixed a lot of things with her body and now her proportions are closer to the source. Lately I've been spending a lot of time re-modeling the top, but as I said before, I still wanted to keep a few of the wrinkles and borders.
This back part was tricky to do, without clashing faces
Close up of the hands. I'm not very good at doing them, do they look all right? Are the knuckles necessary?
There's still some optimizing I gotta do. I want to keep the whole thing below 8,000 tris. Right now it's at 6,270 and the top takes up just under 1,400 tris. Any more C+C is welcome!
12-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Her butt is still sticking out too much and her breast's too round at the top, remember gravity. Her legs are still wrong they look bend unnaturally.
I liked this character's design from the moment i first saw her on the Dark Stalker trailer, she's definately an interesting character. Can't wait to see the end result.
01-05-2007, 05:23 PM
It's been a few weeks but I've continued to work on this model. I took the advice that a lot of people said here and elsewhere and decided to start again from scratch. I kept things simpler, with a lower-poly model and a different approach.
When I got the basic silhouette with a few hundred polys, I started UV unwrapping. I found it to be easier to first unwrap the UVs from a roughed-out form, and then add more polys by splitting up the exisiting ones. As a result, I got into texturing faster. So here is the new, improved model, at a much leaner 956 tris (there will be more added, but definitely not as much as the older model)
I just started texturing yesterday, and I'm still not good at clothing textures but I'm going for a satin look. The Qbranch clothing tutorial really helped there.
01-05-2007, 08:26 PM
nice work man, good progress on the modeling and textures. I also texture before I'm done with the modeling often, although tedious sometimes it's the only way I can seem to get that exact feel I want in the textures.
creative progress, it's all good stuff
PS I like your character choice, she is one of my favorite in the darkstalker series
01-05-2007, 09:02 PM
It's becoming a good model. The new mesh is much better than the old one, much cleaner. But i think her body needs some curvature, you know, female shapes. Altough Lei Lei use long clothes and she's a zombie, she yet has a feminine and pretty looking. Make use of the fact that she's is very low poly to give her some curves, look for some reference on google, or here: http://www.characterdesigns.com/
01-05-2007, 09:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.