PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing points outside canvas

EmilVisti
12-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Is there an easy way to place vanishing points outside the canvas i Photoshop? I could create a larger image and crop, but I was just wondering if there's a faster, easier way?

I'd appreciate any help..

Datameister
12-10-2006, 08:01 AM
Use guides. If you don't know already, these are bluish lines that you can use as tools for aligning things in Photoshop. If the rulers aren't visible at the left and top of the document, press ctrl-R to make them show up. Then click and drag from one of the rulers into the image; you should see a blue line appear. When the Move tool is active, you can move these guides to any position. Brush strokes will "snap" to these, and they can be placed outside the document. So for every VP, create two guides that intersect at the VP itself. (Of course, many VPs will share the same horizon line.)

kraal
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
on a new layer draw a set of horizontal lines. then transorm>perspective ... line the center boxes onto your horizon line... drag the corner box to converge the lines to follow your perspective.

worx
12-12-2006, 10:44 PM
The answer is "no". The dead space around your image is not an accessible clipboard (like in Illustrator or FreeHand). There are work-arounds (like those mentioned above), but I have found over time that your own suggestion works best, if you can do it -- enlarge the image size to include the space that your VP must occupy.

Datameister
12-12-2006, 11:06 PM
I have found over time that your own suggestion works best, if you can do it -- enlarge the image size to include the space that your VP must occupy.

I disagree. Whatever works for you is fine, but I recommend the guide-based method because it allows you to keep the image size down--which is very helpful if your computer, like mine, is a dinosaur. Enlarging the canvas doesn't really offer too many advantages, since guides outside the canvas still snap just like ones within the canvas.

Anyway, do whatever works. To each his/her own. :)

Pinoy McGee
12-13-2006, 02:39 AM
The answer is "no". The dead space around your image is not an accessible clipboard (like in Illustrator or FreeHand).

Say what???

Datameister
12-13-2006, 05:26 AM
I totally forgot that you can create and move paths outside the canvas, too. Good point, Mr McGee!

Cbroussard
12-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Pinoy u rock! ive been wondering about this for a long time too. i usually use the make the image larger method but...screw that. Thanks

evanfotis
12-18-2006, 06:00 PM
It may work with paths, but for other transofrmations it does not.

For example, in the envelope transform, the vertex handles will not be accessible once they are out of the canvas area...

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.