PDA

View Full Version : Simple Rigging Question

maddav99
12-09-2006, 02:03 AM
When looking at XSI there seem to be a plethora of tutorials around showing how to make a rig for character animation. What I'm wondering is, what is wrong with the biped guide and subsequent rig that comes standard with the package? I played around with it and although you don't have complete and total control of every aspect you do have a LOT of control. Is there any reason why people prefer not to use this method, or do they and the tuts are just for a differnt technique? Are there any tutorials that discuss XSI's rigging setup?

tuna
12-09-2006, 10:00 AM
When looking at XSI there seem to be a plethora of tutorials around showing how to make a rig for character animation.

What? There really isn't. Not, at least, if you compare it to the ammount of information you can find out about rigging in Maya. Most of the time I find myself looking at Maya rigging and just converting it into XSI (usually quite simple). 90% of the XSI rigging information on the internet is really very basic, and out dated.

What I'm wondering is, what is wrong with the biped guide and subsequent rig that comes standard with the package? I played around with it and although you don't have complete and total control of every aspect you do have a LOT of control. Is there any reason why people prefer not to use this method, or do they and the tuts are just for a differnt technique? Are there any tutorials that discuss XSI's rigging setup?

Nothing is really "wrong" with it. Perhaps it's a bit slow for how basic it is, but other than that it's okayish. People usually need to do many more things with their rigs, such as use squash and stretch, have it export to a game, tweak the character silhouettes, make anatomically accurate deformation, allow better features for the animators (ik/fk blending, breaking heirarchy, faster playback speed, different interface, etc.).

The reasons are too numerous and specific for any one big reason overall.

thedoc
12-09-2006, 10:34 AM
i feel that the default riggs are a life saver... I personally don't enjoy rigging and all but it's cool to have a rigg already there so that you focus on skinning and all. I only dislike that you can't really twist the wrist

ThE_JacO
12-09-2006, 11:58 AM
the question isn't different from "why do people keep modelling heads if there's poser avaliable?".

Rigging is something some people need and want to learn, and there's no such thing as one rig to rule them all, hence why there's training about it.

maddav99
12-09-2006, 03:23 PM
Well, I guess what I'm really looking to answer is, what are the limits of the included rig?

ThE_JacO
12-09-2006, 04:28 PM
use the search engine and you'll find a whole thread about just that, with some fairly in-depth answers exactly to that question into it.
seriously too much stuff to re-type it all again.

Mic_Ma
12-11-2006, 12:02 AM
The default rig has controls, expressions, splines and everything mixed with each other. Sometimes if you export to a games engine everything needs to be in seperate trees and there may be restrictions on what types of objects you can use. It is often quicker to do a rig from scratch than untangle the default one.

norvman
12-25-2006, 07:12 AM
accually after typing in a search for 'rigging' didn't get any speciffic threads to XSI standard rigg vs custom rigg...

so ...

one thing people like to do is put in more automatic controls... like auto shoulders and various Wrist twist, Thigh Twist, Upper arm Twist... some prefer a different spine setup... different implementation of IK FK blending... some like to have 3 skeletons in one rigg... a FK... a IK... a 'skin' or 'envelope skeleton... and even a few extra twist bones...
some want a reverse foot... others don't see a need for it... some want to add a tale or wings or antena sticking of the Characters head... some just have different ways of deforming the mesh... strechy bones... Lattace deformers... and object deformers of all kinds...
So when you want to add that in or find that the default skeleton limits or gets in the way of what your are trying to do you may just simply decide to start a Rigg from scratch....

basically the Standard skeleton in my opinon is great.... for starters... it's easy to add on too... but sooner or later as you get more ideas about how to do things.. you will want to start doing some special things with your riggs.... all of a sudden you will start wanting to build from the ground up...

XSI is a really really really powerhouse Rigging software...

Anyway hope that helps...

maddav99
12-26-2006, 07:04 AM
That makes sense, Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
12-26-2006, 07:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.