PDA

View Full Version : IBL + Orthographic?

techmage
12-08-2006, 07:57 PM
I can't seem to get an IBL to render through an orthographic camera correctly. It seems like mental ray decides what portions of an IBL you can see based purely on the pixels angle to the camera. So like a camera with a 45 degree wide view will see a quarter of the IBL no matter where the camera is. I suppose thats how they make it 'infinite'. But since an orthographic view is 0 degrees wide, it seems to just be taking one pixel of the IBL and covering the whole background with that one color. I have a feeling there isn't anyway around this cause it seems integrated very deeply into MR... but just in case, does anyone know if there is?

victor
12-09-2006, 01:46 AM
I can't seem to get an IBL to render through an orthographic camera correctly. It seems like mental ray decides what portions of an IBL you can see based purely on the pixels angle to the camera. So like a camera with a 45 degree wide view will see a quarter of the IBL no matter where the camera is. I suppose thats how they make it 'infinite'. But since an orthographic view is 0 degrees wide, it seems to just be taking one pixel of the IBL and covering the whole background with that one color. I have a feeling there isn't anyway around this cause it seems integrated very deeply into MR... but just in case, does anyone know if there is?You answered your own question there.

You could use your own sphere with an image mapped to it instead of the infinite one that MR creates, or instead of a true orthographic camera, you could make a very narrow FOV camera and place it very far from your objects.

You could also just replace the background manually.

Edit: Wait! Did you notice the "infinite" checkbox right below the texture slot? Does unchecking that not give you what you want? :D

techmage
12-11-2006, 12:35 AM
The infinite checkbox didn't fix it. I ended up just putting a different background on a plane in the scene. But I was using the mia_physicalsky and wanted that to be the background, which is why I was looking for a potential workaround.

CGTalk Moderation
12-11-2006, 12:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.