PDA

View Full Version : Underwater volumetric effect?

danb
12-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to make the underwater volumetric sunlight effect?

So when a light shines into a body of water there are light rays. Only in the water and not above.

Per-Anders
12-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Inverse volumetric lights.

danb
12-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Ok, but how do i make it so it is only volumetric in the water and not above the water.

My scene needs to be a side view of an object splasing into an ocean. So the camera will be level to the ocean surface. The light source will be coming from the sky and casting rays into the water, where the object hits.

JamesMK
12-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Ok, but how do i make it so it is only volumetric in the water and not above the water.

My scene needs to be a side view of an object splasing into an ocean. So the camera will be level to the ocean surface. The light source will be coming from the sky and casting rays into the water, where the object hits.

Compositing. First pass with volumetrics switched on, second pass with volumetrics switched off. Set the water to render an object buffer, then combine the passes in post.

Per-Anders
12-08-2006, 08:13 PM

What I said, inverse volumetric lights, it's not the same as volumetric lights.

danb
12-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Woah nice. I didn't know inverse volumetrics does that. Thank you very much, Per.

cbowyer
12-08-2006, 10:57 PM
That's pretty cool. You know the difficult part of C4D is keeping track of all the possibilities for creating something interesting!

Version 3 has some noise.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2006, 10:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.