PDA

View Full Version : do we have to bevel every single edges that visible to get a nice result in render??

konakus
12-08-2006, 03:25 PM
do we have to do that ?? especially in hard surface modeling ??

because sometime bevel edges is kind of annoying thing to do ... for me ... for example cleaning up some n-gon around the corner ... please someone tell me about the advantage of bevel ...

thanks

urgaffel
12-08-2006, 04:30 PM
That depends on what you are modeling and if you are using some sort of subdivision. In 3dsmax you can just put two edges close to each other and use Turbosmooth to get a beveled edge. Since you can constrain transformations to edges, you can slide edges close to each other where you want bevels. Of course, if you're not using subds, then yes, getting smooth edges means beveling/chamfering edges and then cleaning it up. Or if you have 3dsmax 9 you can use the smooth edges option with mental ray (not sure what it's called, I think it's in the Architectural shader).

newellteapot
12-08-2006, 07:53 PM
please someone tell me about the advantage of bevel ...

thanks
well, consider that in nature no edge is perfectly sharp. So if you want a mor erealistic result it's better to bevel. If the model is really far away in the backgroung you don't really need to, though, it wouldn't be visible anyway.
;)

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2006, 07:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.