PDA

View Full Version : Corel Painter IX.5 Instructor Needed

MichelleGTaylor
12-08-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm needing a minimum of 4 hours to a maximum of 16 hours of online instruction for a new artist we've hired. These session must be highly interactive and tailored to bringing this artist up to speed quickly. Flexible evening and weekend hours, as mutually convenient. Intend to perform instruction using NetMeeting (via high speed Internet connection) and us simultaneously calling in to you via telephone.

Since this would be adhoc instruction, pre-assembled courseware is not required.

If you are a personable power user and willing to earn some extra dollars helping a young artist learn Painter, please email the following:

1. Your hourly rate and payment terms
2. Best times for you to do the training
3. Confirm you've used NetMeeting or would be willing to confirm setup with our tech person prior to starting instruction
4. Reference to some of your existing work
5. Summation of your Corel Painter IX.5 expertise

Thanks,

Michelle G. Taylor
MichelleGTaylor@gmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/MichelleGTaylor@gmail.com)

Jinbrown
12-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Can you supply a phone number for your company and possibly a working website URL?

Xovum Productions not listed in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and that's the only Ft. Wayne I know of or telephone information operator knew of.

Google lists a website URL for www.xovum.com/ (http://www.xovum.com/) but it takes us to a page that says:

Directory Listing Denied

This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

MichelleGTaylor
12-11-2006, 12:32 AM
We're a startup and the website is not yet setup. If you are interested in working, then please respond as requested. Thanks.

Jinbrown
12-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi,

Sorry. I'm not interested in responding without more information up front to give me a better idea of who you are and more about your business.

Ft Wayne USA, no website, and no phone number is pretty darned vague for a serious business, or any business that wants to be taken seriously.

Maybe someone else will come along who's willing.

Good luck with your website. Not having it up and running yet is understandable if you're a startup but surely you have a phone. ;)

In any case, a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

MichelleGTaylor
12-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi,

Sorry. I'm not interested in responding without more information up front to give me a better idea of who you are and more about your business.

Good luck with your website. Not having it up and running yet is understandable if you're a startup but surely you have a phone. ;)

That's OK - We were looking for a personable instructor anyway! :)

Cometsoft
12-11-2006, 04:52 PM
That's OK - We were looking for a personable instructor anyway! :)

That's rich, especially coming from someone who has 3 posts! Jinny has a great rep here. She's one of the most helpful people in the Painter forums.

Very positive PR for Xovum.com.

Shizumauru
12-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I already started wondering about the sublime "If you are interested in working, then please respond as requested"...

kraal
12-11-2006, 05:53 PM
yeah i agree Jin has gotten me out of many binds and saved me a few freelance projects.... I see nothing wrong with the hesitations she has cause i have just the same. The fact that you get defencive when asked makes me wonder how defensive you will get when asked about my paycheck ;)

MichelleGTaylor
12-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Generally we will pay in advance. So the fact that we're a startup just getting underway shouldn't matter at all - we're just wanting help not insults!

Anyway, we're still looking for an experienced instructor w/ a good attitude and knowledge about Painter... Looks like several are disqualifying themselves in public regarding the former. If you're interested, please email me: MichelleGTaylor@Xovum.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/MichelleGTaylor@Xovum.com), Thanks! :)

Improv
12-11-2006, 07:42 PM
We're a startup and the website is not yet setup. If you are interested in working, then please respond as requested. Thanks.

No website, free gmail account and evasive attitude.

That's very unprofessional, unbusinesslike and unprepared.

Also, you expect applicants to tell all, but you can't even tell the most basic details about your company except that you are a startup.

I suggest you either switch to disclosure mode or go elsewhere. :rolleyes:

MichelleGTaylor
12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
I didn't expect such a hassle for getting a few hours of lessons... I was just seeking help with bringing a conventional materials artist up to speed with Painter without having to travel for scheduled seminars.... I didn't think I was asking that much... I'll still hold out hope that a decent person will respond to my request, otherwise I'll just lurk and check my email.

BTW, absolutely none of what ya'll have said above has anything to do with just getting paid to teach someone. Further, the young lady in need of these classes has FAR, FAR, EXCEEDING FAR more artistic talent than what I've seen evidenced by each and everyone of you MEAN PEOPLE who have posted above - she just needs help coming up to speed with Painter because she doesn't have much computer experience or education.

If we want our privacy at this stage, that's our business - and a right we choose to exercise - all I can promise is that we're nice people who genuinely want to learn and if you want to help us, we'll make it more than worth your while.

Improv
12-11-2006, 10:09 PM
I didn't expect such a hassle for getting a few hours of lessons... I was just seeking help with bringing a conventional materials artist up to speed with Painter without having to travel for scheduled seminars.... I didn't think I was asking that much... I'll still hold out hope that a decent person will respond to my request, otherwise I'll just lurk and check my email.

BTW, absolutely none of what ya'll have said above has anything to do with just getting paid to teach someone. Further, the young lady in need of these classes has FAR, FAR, EXCEEDING FAR more artistic talent than what I've seen evidenced by each and everyone of you MEAN PEOPLE who have posted above - she just needs help coming up to speed with Painter because she doesn't have much computer experience or education.

If we want our privacy at this stage, that's our business - and a right we choose to exercise - all I can promise is that we're nice people who genuinely want to learn and if you want to help us, we'll make it more than worth your while.

Uh-huh...Whatever! B-Bye now, Y'all have a real nice day now-chow fer now! :rolleyes:

ThePhotographer
12-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Don't give up, Michelle, perhaps someone will pop up here and help you ! Or try on other Painter forum or why not even try to contact Corel themselves ? Perhaps they could get you in contact with somebody adequate.

Somebody a little more personable perhaps ? ;)

Improv
12-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Don't give up, Michelle, perhaps someone will pop up here and help you ! Or try on other Painter forum or why not even try to contact Corel themselves ? Perhaps they could get you in contact with somebody adequate.

Oh, you mean like a religious censor?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4039048#post4039048

Cometsoft
12-12-2006, 12:36 AM
I didn't expect such a hassle for getting a few hours of lessons... Further, the young lady in need of these classes has FAR, FAR, EXCEEDING FAR more artistic talent than what I've seen evidenced by each and everyone of you MEAN PEOPLE who have posted above - she just needs help coming up to speed with Painter because she doesn't have much computer experience or education.

Maybe you should have expected it after your gratuitous insult about Jin's personalability. I believe she wrote something about hoping someone came along and was willing. You could have left it at that.

And so now in addition to being unpersonable we're "mean" and can't hold a candle to your "young lady's" talent. I guess with all of your make-it-worth-while funds people should just suck it up and grovel at the opportunity to be in your employ. Caveat emptor!

Lunatique
12-12-2006, 12:50 AM
Try not to take things too personally. For this type of post, professionalism is key, since it IS dealing with a business transaction. As far as I can see, no one was out of line until people started making assumptions about strangers they don't know at all.

Anyway, there are quite a few people that participate in this forum who teaches Painter on a regular basis--just browsing this forum you'll find them.

What type of training does the girl need? Is it simply how to translate traditional painting skills to the digital realm using Painter, or it has to be comprehensive (the entire package--including image editing, manipulation, color management..etc)? Teaching someone how to draw and paint in Painter is very easy, but the other stuff would require a bit more time. I tend to feel that the help file covers quite a bit of ground, except that most people hate reading manuals. There are also a few good Painter instruction books out there as well.

And if the girl needs art lessons on top of learning Painter, then it'll take even longer.

Improv
12-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Maybe you should have expected it after your gratuitous insult about Jin's personalability. I believe she wrote something about hoping someone came along and was willing. You could have left it at that.

And so now in addition to being unpersonable we're "mean" and can't hold a candle to your "young lady's" talent. I guess with all of your make-it-worth-while funds people should just suck it up and grovel at the opportunity to be in your employ. Caveat emptor!

And the ironic thing is that Michelle G. Taylor's remarks were initially directed at Jin of all people. If anything, Jin has a reputation as one of THE most helpful, knowledgeable and dedicated Painter tutors around-both for hire and here for free-every day.

Lunatique
12-12-2006, 01:11 AM
I just chalk it up to someone getting up on the wrong side of the bed today. I'd like to see people being less hostile and more civilized from this point on though. So, no more personal attacks--just stick to business.

Mu
12-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh, you mean like a religious censor?

Improv,

while I did not share Gitte's opinion in the modern Bible illustration thread, I find it highly inadequate (not to mention off-topic) to cross-reference her reply in here. It's not connected to anything and makes you look like you hold a grudge against her waiting for an occasion to let it out ...and that spoils the atmosphere, don't you think?

the young lady in need of these classes has FAR, FAR, EXCEEDING FAR more artistic talent than what I've seen evidenced by each and everyone of you MEAN PEOPLE

oh. Let me be the first to lol...

Btw, isn't there an entire "studios hiring" forum?

Ah, wait... some pretty strict rules in there...:D

MichelleGTaylor
12-12-2006, 07:44 PM

Thanks, but I tried that a couple weeks ago. Thus far the instructors fall in 2 categories - only do seminars OR only teach on site (theirs or yours). I was trying to avoid traveling and it doesn't make sense to fly in an instructor for just one pupil... I'm still hoping to find someone NetMeeting capable, along with Painter expertise.

MichelleGTaylor
12-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Anyway, there are quite a few people that participate in this forum who teaches Painter on a regular basis--just browsing this forum you'll find them.
Thanks! Would you be so kind as to supply me with a name or two? - MichelleGTaylor@Xovum.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/MichelleGTaylor@Xovum.com)

What type of training does the girl need?

A quick overview of Painter, where she can then ask questions - she's just a teenager, but VERY TALENTED, and not prone to sit still long enough to read or watch 20 hours of videos - someone that could help her learn by doing would work best... Areas I know she'll need help are layers, cloning brushes, alpha channels, tricks for producing animation sequences, and working with photos - we're going from hi-rez flat lit photos to produce decal files for 3D animation, we've done a lot of facial expression anatomical studies, so she'll be producing animated displacement maps (to simulate wrinkles/creases on highly detailed photo-realistic 3D models).

Lunatique
12-12-2006, 08:00 PM
EDIT: looks like we were typing at the same time. So disregard what I have typed below.

Michelle - did you see the questions I posed above about what the girl needs? If you can answer those questions, it would be better for others to assess whether they can help you. For example, I would probably be considered qualified to teach Painter if it's dealing with just drawing and painting in it, but I do not use Painter for image editing as I find it lacking in that department and use Photoshop for editing instead. You can see in my portfolio that my work speaks for itself, and I've co-authored a book on digital painting titled "d'artiste: Digital Painting Masterclass" You can find out about it here: http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste_digital_painting/

For names of instructors, just look at the sticky threads--their tutorials are listed in there.

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.