PDA

View Full Version : Unusual technique

josephjacir
12-08-2006, 12:08 PM
So, I am working on my senior thesis. I am doing a kind of combined 2d/3d look for some of my characters. I'd like to know what people's reaction to this character is. The performance is just a quick test I threw together, but please feel free to comment on any aspect of the clip.

www.rit.edu/~jaj8232/nacl_walktest.mov (http://www.rit.edu/%7Ejaj8232/nacl_walktest.mov)

We've all seen "2 1/2D" before, which usually means 2d animation on planes in 3d space. I am trying to develop that look, and move a bit beyond "postcards in space." Can anyone tell me if they've seen anything else that reminds them of what I'm doing before? The closest thing I can think of is the way the characters moved around in Parappa the Rappa, but its been a while since that game came out - and I never really played it, ha.

I'd like to hear any suggestions for improvement, as well as anything that is jarring or not working for you. I am liking the way she bends like paper, but still enjoys a 3d animated look - but perhaps there are places where the deformation is awkward or something, please let me know.

edit: I forgot to mention - ignore the things at the end of her arms, I plan to use replacement hands for each hand position, and those planes are just holding the place.

SirRon
12-15-2006, 07:58 PM
I like your take on 2.5D, looks like it can end up with something unique. Good luck with exploring that.

Looking at the animation though:
- The body/dress seems to move faster towards the camera. On the last frame it looks like her feet are behind her body.

- Taking the first step looked good, the hips shifted towards that step. But on the second step the body just moved forward and didn't follow the foot. The third step looked better but not as good as the first. But generally the walk could be better executed.

- I like the arms bending like paper too. But watch out for frames that look like the last one. You see her paper hand at the very edge so it looks like it disappears. Because your characters look like that (paper) AVOID frames where parts seem to disappear. When you play through the animation it'll appear to pop in and out.

Visually:
- The face doesn't look that appealing. I think it's the cheekbones that make her look old but have a kid's body. It looks like you want to keep it looking like a kid's drawing, but I'm sure you have a bit more room for a more mature artistic style.

Hope that helps, keep at it :)

josephjacir
12-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Ron, thanks for your response! I will keep the critique of the animation in mind when I get to my shots. As for the face - my intention was that she should look a little older than the story would suggest (she is in a Catholic elementary school) but still keep this a bit ambiguous. Or did you just find it graphically not worthwhile? In any case - I don't want to go with making her just look a lot older than the schoolchildren, but I didn't want her to look like a typical child herself. Any suggestions?

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2006, 09:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.