PDA

View Full Version : Animation Short (robbers, swords, decapitation, woot)

mistasam02
12-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Hey guys! I just completed an animation class and wanted to share my work! It is still only a playblast, and I'm open for suggestions and critiques, as always. :D I'm going for a somewhat stylized approach, but I'm sure it can be better. Please let me know watcha think!

Story
Man spots 2 robbers exiting a bank carrying a bag, and proceeds to stop them.

324x256 8mb mov
http://www.samanimates.com/animation/bagsmall.mov

Stills

http://www.samanimates.com/animation/bag1.jpg

http://www.samanimates.com/animation/bag2.jpg

http://www.samanimates.com/animation/bag3.jpg

Amit_S
12-08-2006, 09:10 AM
LOL!:applause: :applause:
Loved it!

You havent put any audio in it, have u? Cause I didnt hear a thing.

I really cant give u any critiques. I've just started doing animation.
But just 2 things: I dont like the way he draws out the sword. And his Flying body drop kick- I really dont think u can land on your feet after a kick like that. I think from what I remember of Pro Wrestling -u generally fall on your back after that kick.
Not trying to be a smart ass- as I said I've only started moving objects. So if u think that u r right , just ignore me.

Can you tell me something about your animation class? What was the syllabus? Did you have a blog or a WIP thread of your work?

josephjacir
12-08-2006, 12:53 PM
Haha - funny idea. And sick. Nice.

Crit: everything could use a lot more weight. The two thieves move with a bit more than the knight - but even they could show it more. Most of the contacts could be hit quite a bit harder, I think. A little more fluidity between poses would be nice - I know the knight is supposed to be rigid and upright, but a little more flexibility in the spine would be more natural. Remember that bodies should curve, and keep in mind contrast/affinity between extreme poses - C and S curves. As you said, it is supposed to be stylised, but to me, the rigidity is just unnatural. I really enjoyed the reaction from the thieves, after "HEY!" - especially the fumbling with the bag. But, the extremes should be more extreme for that kind of action, and the motion could arc more legibly. The action that needs the most work, I feel, is the knight running, right before he throws the sword. It looks like you abandoned the pop-through for that, it shows in that his weight is very unbalanced towards the front, and his legs seem to float behind him during the run. Overall, the timing could stand to be snappier - one thing that I find helpful is not to think so much about where you're placing the keyframes as where you're placing the SPACE between keyframes - the slopes on the graphs, and the plateaux in between. Good luck with your next pass!

mistasam02
12-08-2006, 06:40 PM
WOW! ^ that was insanely helpful! and yea actually all of the runs I was having a hard time at. This is my first time animating runs, and they all could use a ton of work. And you're right about the back.. it's way too stiff in a lot of it. Even though my class is over I'm totally reworking this to look better, and all your crits help a lot!

and to Amit_S --
The class was 5 weeks long.. first week storyboarded, 2nd week animatic, and then we did a "layout pass" in maya just translating the models everywhere, then i think the 3rd week we finally got to blocking out animation. If I only had 1 more week.. lol.

mistasam02
12-08-2006, 06:43 PM
oh.. and the "sick and twisted" ending was supposed to show that it was just Halloween and everyone was dressed up (thus the knight/robbers, and the bag).. so if anyone has a good idea of how to show that, i'd love to hear it :thumbsup:

Sky
12-08-2006, 08:06 PM
The first thing I noticed was already mention by josephjacir. And it's the lack of weight. There were parts where things felt like they didn't weight a thing. I thing just going back and fixing that would really improve this. I gotta say, I love the idea! I was laughed when he opened the bag. Nicely done!

josephjacir
12-09-2006, 01:45 PM
No problem no problem. Hope you post again when it's done.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2006, 01:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.