PDA

View Full Version : Is the forum running out of steam>

gra4mac
02-14-2003, 04:37 AM
Seems to me that theforum has been slowing down lately. I hope this doesn't mean everyone has gone back to the list. I realy like the forum and would hate to see it fade away. I don't like getting 100+ e-mails a day, and I like browsing the subjects. The list is focussed on tech questions and wip crituques, but there isn't much of that going on here. Now that the furror is passing we need to get down to the business of modeling, animating, and asking questions. Or am I missing something, as usual?

Cheers, Graham

My Fault
02-14-2003, 05:35 AM
It's because we are all messing with 10.5 and don't have as much time to post! :thumbsup:

hoochoochoochoo
02-14-2003, 12:26 PM
on the other side of it have you seen how little is going on on the main mailing list by comparison?

The venting is over but there are still topics we can raise here that won't be discussed on the AMList.

runejw
02-14-2003, 01:31 PM
It's probably a good thing to vent some frustration.

Intriguing for me as a one-time AM "Milennium" (8.0/8.5) buyer to see how many have the exact same complaints about v9.5...

Anyway in addition to stability, creasing etc, I think AM needs to get better rendering overall, especially in the "eye candy" dept, otherwise those not strictly interested in CA will find other apps.

The Softimage|XSI EXP is quite cool for learning stuff. Makes one consider enlisting for some University course again to get the student pricing of $495 for the full version...

Quite cool anyway that one at least can experiment with animations and save files with the EXP version.

The "low level" animation tutorial they have shows other apps have advanced constraint handling and animation capabilities as well...

http://www.softimage.com/products/exp/v3/community/tutorials/tutorial_PDFs/05_low_level.pdf

... so, maybe others are using time on these demo-versions as well...

Cheers,
Rune

Dearmad
02-15-2003, 01:21 AM
I think it's just settling down. I for one plan to use this forum and not the list anymore.

ChrisOG
02-15-2003, 11:29 AM
I certainly hope this forum survives. I've always wanted a non-email Hash forum, but none of the attempts ever seemed to work out. I have a feeling people would go to a board, see about 5 posts, and not bother coming back. Due to how this board started though, it's completely different. 2000+ posts in just over a month!

This kept me coming back, and even though I didn't register until today, I've been reading every morning.

I don't think there's anything to worry about. Even excluding all the initial Hash frustration posts, this board is still light years beyond any other A:M board that's been attempted.

zandoria
02-15-2003, 04:49 PM
I think the forum will do just fine.

The discussions are certainly more interesting than answering newbie qustions on the list. We spent a lot of time yesterday explaining to someone to use an "aim at" constraint on his camera...At least when there was a pretty robust manual, you could just say RTFM:bounce:

The launch of this forum seems to have been cathartic for the company as well as the users who have been unhappy.

To borrow Wegg's religion metaphor, I think that we are on the eve of a Hash "revival". The old-fashioned tent meeting where people get all ecstatic and get the "holy ghost":applause:

There are a number of mystical sounding software names out there--I've heard some talk of a new "messiah" that will be the new savior of animation....but I think the release of 10.5 will be "the second coming" of Animation:Master!

Welcome to the "promised land"!:bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.