PDA

View Full Version : graduating soon

skater363636
12-08-2006, 03:44 AM
I'm currently a student at the Savannah college of art and design and I'm going to be graduating soon. I've been looking online for companies that have or are looking for motion capture artists. I know there are a lot of mocap studio's in canada so I've been looking around there and since I live in Rochester NY have done a lot of looking lately for things in toronto. I've been told that that are several studio's in toronto that do motion capture but I haven't been finding much. Most things I find are just animation studio's. I'm still working on being an animator but want to concetrate on motion capture. I've also been pioneering the mocap cousre program at my school. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask since it's more about jobs than about the actual program but I figured I'd have the best responses here. The questions I have are one where are most of the mocap studio's located and two for a mocap demo reel should I do breakdowns of the mocap since I do video tape most of my sessions, and also should I mix in regular keyframe animation into it to show my animating skills? Also how likely is it for me to be able to get a mocap postion if I'm coming right out of college?

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for the questions.

oranjuice
12-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Try EA Canada in Vancouver, they got a nice new MoCap facility about 6 months ago or so.
You should look oaround for other companies in the Vancouver area, because it is pretty much the game development hub of Canada. I'm sure there are more then just EA around.

As to what to put on your reel, I couldn't really tell you.

sandmanrl69
12-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey man

I know how you feel when looking for jobs in motion capture. And I've been doing the same research as you for mocap studios in Toronto, and really I can't find much there. I know of 2 schools there that have there own private studios for learning, that I think they rent out to local animation studios. As for a straight up Mocap studio in TO, I haven't come across one yet.

Oranjuice is right, B.C. Vancouver area is the best bet to go, unless you can get work in the States....me being a Canadian cit I've been turned down quite a few times, because they don't take ppl outside of the US.

Lastly, on my demo reel I just showed the finished product of all my cleaned up animation. so far I have't heard anything negitive going about it that way.

Good Luck!

CHEERS

kcrew
01-06-2007, 02:58 AM
I am pretty sure CBC has a MoCap studio in Toronto for doing their television programs, at least they did last I heard.

~kcrew

skater363636
01-13-2007, 07:44 PM
hey thanks for the advise. I'm a US cit. but I live in Rochester NY. I go up to Toronto at least once a year since it's the closest large city. When I was up there I saw a lot of animation studio's. I found about 4 times more studio's in the phone book than on the internet. I was just wondering what cities other than Vancouver are large mocap centers?

Leonard_Washington
01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
If mocap is what you want to do, I'd highly recommend you apply to High Moon Studios. They are looking for Motion Capture Interns. You'll learn a lot.

http://creativeheads.net/JobDetails.aspx?JobID=3350

skater363636
01-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to give this a good look at. I'll be graduating in June but I know it takes awhile to find jobs so I thought I'd start early. Thanks again

JonRobins
01-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Hey I recently graduated as well and moved out to LA. I now work at house of moves editing mocap and learning diva. were always looking for help and right now were really needing help. A good way to get in on some of these companies is to try and ask if you can come and set in on a shoot one day as a student for school and stuff. We have a guy at our studio who got a job with us that way. well good luck and take it easy.

Jon

CGTalk Moderation
01-23-2007, 07:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.