PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Satellitte Render

simko
12-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi there,
has anyone experience in setting up Mental Ray cross platform network rendering.?
We are running Maya on Windows and would like to use dual processor MAC G5 as render slave.
I installed MR Satellite on Mac, edited the MAYA.RAYHOSTS file on PC adding the slave IP address and port number and finally I edited WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\services file to assign the port number.
However Mac still refuses the connection.
Did I miss something? Any hellp or input is appreciated.
I know crosplatform solution is not ideal however this is how it is.
I searched the net and forum too but didnt find anything, except this
http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/support/knowledgebase/solution_details.jsp?type=White%20Paper&family=Maya&itemId=4400

however this didnt help. We use Maya 8.

Thanks a lot.

tfritzsche
12-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi simko,
On the G5 look in "/etc/services" file to see what port mi-raysat is using. Check the firewall in system prefs, if it is on make sure you open the MR port (found in services file default is 7104) Sharing -> Firewall -> New to add the service. If mi-raysat is using a different port, you can , either change it in the services file or in the MAYA.RAYHOSTS file, so all ports are the same.

hope this helps
thomas

Buexe
12-08-2006, 10:28 PM
The default port on maya 8 satellite is 7105 btw

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2006, 10:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.