PDA

View Full Version : getting normal maps to display

blurgh
12-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi,
Ive used the photoshop normal map filter to create a map,
and applied it using the 2d bump node (space tanget normals mode) I assume this is right?
However it doesnt display in the viewport

Ive tried to run the CG plugin to show pixel shading in real time. It seems to only work wiht maya 5 :/

can anyone help me out?

-Darken

arrangemonk
12-07-2006, 08:04 PM
you have to use a dx9 shader for displaying normalmaps in viewport (the pink material)

GradiusCancer
12-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Sounds like you're using Maya? Try cutting on High Quality Rendering in the viewport.
If that's not enough, here's some more info: (there are other tutors here that might also help, drop back to the tutor index)
http://chrisholden.net/tutor/tutshellnorm.htm

RunnyJam
12-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi, i've also got the same problem. Is the DX9 shader the same thing as the cgfxShader, or am i just very confused? If so, how is it used? When i put the high rendering on, my object appears strange, with black marks all over it :S

cheers

blurgh
12-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Hey guys,
I have got it to work with the help of that tutorial. However it has these wierd black splodges on the surface when I put high quality rendering on:s. They change as you move the camera about.

To me this sounds like a graphics hardware thing

I havnt used this Dx9 shader, I can make a cgfxShader (pink material) if that is what you mean? but how do you use this ?

cheers

-Darken

GradiusCancer
12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
posting a pic of your error helps.

you can use imageshack.us or some other free image hosting service if you dont have space.

xbiten
12-07-2006, 10:11 PM
hey darken! sounds like maya doesn't support your graphicscard.
I canīt use highquality rendering neither. You can check if your card is supported on: http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/support/qualified_hardware.jsp

Hope it helped!

xbiten
12-08-2006, 12:53 PM
hey again! Iīve found a workaround for this issue that works for me. You can use cgfx-shaders with highquality rendering. If you want to give it a shot you can download some cgfx-shaders from highend3d.com. LINK (http://highend3d.com/maya/downloads/shaders/CgFXSL-v1-0-for-Maya7-0-3739.html)
Donīt forget to enable the plugin in the pluginmanager. Also see the maya help for more support.
//Rikard

LuciusVE
12-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Those black splotches are from the maximum ray casting search envelope. Changing that in your app should fix that problem.

xbiten
12-08-2006, 05:16 PM
LuciusVE: never heard of that, where do you change it??

TychoCelchuuu
12-08-2006, 06:55 PM
It's actually not something the Photoshop plugin has.

dpizzle
12-12-2006, 07:03 PM
are you getting big black splotches (is that a word?), or just flickering black lines on certain areas?

JustChris
12-12-2006, 08:10 PM
If my graphics card doesn't have the pixel shading extensions needed for Maya's hardware rendering, then there is no chance at all I can use normal maps, right?

If so, then bummer :( I'll have to wait a few more weeks for my new card then.

blurgh
12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
flickering splodges apparently... from what i can find out its a ATI card issue ...

SPIDER2544
12-13-2006, 06:32 AM
i actualy have the same issue in maya with my card as well. heres the weird thing though, it works just fine on my laptop which also has an ATI card. it works on some and doesnt work on others which is sort of a bummer.

one thing i found was that it goes away almost completely if you have it in orthographic view instead of perspective

JYoung
12-13-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm pissed that maya 7 will work fine with high quality rendering, but maya 8 won't. :(

RHedendahl
12-16-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm having the same problem has you yungimoto, quite stenuous..

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2006, 06:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.